Detailed WordPerfect 8 installation instructionsDec 21, 1998, 09:50 (9 Talkback[s])
WEBINAR: On-demand Event
Replace Oracle with the NoSQL Engagement Database: Why and how leading companies are making the switch REGISTER >
Jeffery Cann sent us extra installation instructions for Word Perfect 8 for Linux.
After messing around with lousy installation instructions from download.com, I just wanted to outline the steps I performed to install Word Perfect 8.0
BTW--I have downloaded and built well over 500 MB of Linux software in the past 3 years; this one was probably the worst installations. I think it's not Corel's fault. The fiasco of Download.com (http://www.download.com) placing the WP archives on a WIN95 box has been the biggest part of the problem because lame MS-DOS has problems with capitalization of filenames, especially when FTP transfers are involved. (e.g. I can have a lowercase filename in Win95, but it will be UPPERCASE via DOS FTP). The other problem is the lact of explicit instructions when you download the program as 7 archives. Note to Corel/Download.com -- We in the Linux community CAN READ, it's merely a matter of WRITING SOMETHING USEFUL.
0. If you want to get the GUI set up 'wizard' (familiar from WINDOZE set ups), start your X session.
1. As posted already, if you used Netscape to download, the files are already unzipped. So, your GUI00.GZ file is _NOT_ a ZIP/GZIP archive, its merely a tar archive.
2. Rename all the archives to lowercase and drop the .GZ extension if Netscape already unzipped it. If you used FTP, then you'll probably have to unzip it first.
mv GUI00.GZ gui00
3. Put all these archives into the same directory. I put mine in '/usr/local/wp80'
4. Extract only the first archive. Originally, it was GUI01.GZ. After step 2, it is gui00. DO NOT extract the other 6 archives because the 'Runme' file expects them to be in 'tar' format! FYI -- if you edit the Runme file, you'll see the shell commands that look for tar archives.
tar xvf gui00
5. run the 'Runme' script
./Runme -OR- sh Runme
6. You will be prompted with the following question: "Did you unzip and untar the files you downloaded?" (y/n)
Although you have unzipped the archives, you have not untared them. Respond with 'y'.
7. If you are in X windows, the GUI installation program will startup. If not, a simple shell command program will start.
8. For the path to install, I chose the same path where I copied the 7 archives, '/usr/local/wp80'
9. The installation program will do the rest.
10. When you're finished, the xwp program will be generated in the wpbin directory. So for me, it's located in '/usr/local/wp80/wpbin/xwp'
0 Talkback[s] (click to add your comment)