GNU Privacy Guard 1.0.0 released
Sep 08, 1999, 14:58 (0 Talkback[s])
"GnuPG is a complete and free replacement for PGP. Because it
does not use IDEA or RSA it can be used without any restrictions.
GnuPG is a RFC2440 (OpenPGP) compliant application."
- Full replacement of PGP.
- Does not use any patented algorithms.
- GPLed, written from scratch.
- Can be used as a filter program.
- Full OpenPGP implementation.
- Better functionality than PGP and some security
- Decrypts and verifies PGP 5.x messages.
- Supports ElGamal (signature and encryption), DSA, 3DES,
Blowfish, Twofish, CAST5, MD5, SHA-1, RIPE-MD-160 and TIGER.
- Easy implementation of new algorithms using extension
- User id is created in a standard format.
- Support for a key expiration date.
- French, German, Italian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazilian),
Russian and Spanish language support.
- Online help system
- Optional anonymous message receivers.
- Integrated support for HKP keyservers (wwwkeys.pgp.net)
- and many more things....