SiliconValley.com/AP: Linux still not ready for desktop prime time
Jun 04, 2001, 15:28 (69 Talkback[s])
[ Thanks to GregK and George Mitchell for this link.
The Associated Press has also picked up on the "dead desktop"
meme, citing Eazel going under and offering this quote from Eazel
co-founder Bart Decrem:
"We were probably trying to do too much too fast.
Frankly, we still have a couple years to go before Linux catches up
with Windows," said Bart Decrem, an Eazel co-founder. "The reality
is that Windows is good enough for most people."
Eazel couldn't promise profits quickly enough for skittish
investors focused on immediate returns, said David Patrick, chief
of Ximian Inc., which is developing a Linux desktop
... "We don't even talk about the consumer market," Patrick
- Question of the Day: A Tiered Linux Distro for Newbies?(Jun 03, 2001)
- osOpinion: Serving Up Desktop Envy(Jun 02, 2001)
- LinuxPlanet: gnotebook: The Desktop War: A Separate Peace(Jun 02, 2001)
- Yahoo!/ZDNet: Why 2001 is not the 'Year of the Penguin'(May 31, 2001)
- LinuxJournal: Linux on the Desktop--an Impossible Dream?(May 31, 2001)
- ZDNet: A GUI situation indeed (Eazel's demise won't slow Linux's progress on the
desktop)(May 30, 2001)
- ZDNet UK: HP exec: Linux will be desktop champ(May 28, 2001)
- The Dead Desktop Debacle: A Roundup of Rebuttals to Reichard's Requiem(May 25, 2001)
- LinuxPlanet: .comment: If Not Now, When?(May 24, 2001)
- osOpinion: Where Is the New Linux Experience?(May 24, 2001)
- CNET News.com: Dell: Linux too tech for the desktop(May 23, 2001)
- LinuxPlanet: The StartX Files: The Linux Uncertainty Principle(May 22, 2001)
- LinuxPlanet: RIP: Linux on the Desktop(May 21, 2001)