LinuxProgramming: PHP 4.1.0 Released
Dec 11, 2001, 16:23 (12 Talkback[s])
WEBINAR: On-demand Event
Replace Oracle with the NoSQL Engagement Database: Why and how leading companies are making the switch REGISTER >
PHP 4.1.0 includes several other key improvements:
- A new input interface for improved security (read below)
- Highly improved performance in general
- Revolutionary performance and stability improvements under Windows. The
multithreaded server modules under Windows (ISAPI, Apache, etc.) perform as
much as 30 times faster under load! We want to thank Brett Brewer and his
team in Microsoft for working with us to improve PHP for Windows.
- Versioning support for extensions. Right now it's barely being used, but
the infrastructure was put in place to support separate version numbers for
different extensions. The negative side effect is that loading extensions
that were built against old versions of PHP will now result in a crash,
instead of in a nice clear message. Make sure you only use extensions
built with PHP 4.1.0.
- Turn-key output compression support
- LOTS of fixes and new functions
As some of you may notice, this version is quite historical, as it's the
first time in history we actually incremented the middle digit! :) The two
key reasons for this unprecedented change were the new input interface, and
the broken binary compatibility of modules due to the versioning support.