Linux Journal: SSSCA Is "Dead on Arrival"
Jan 09, 2002, 18:39 (9 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Don Marti)
WEBINAR: On-demand webcast
How to Boost Database Development Productivity on Linux, Docker, and Kubernetes with Microsoft SQL Server 2017 REGISTER >
"Rep. Darrell Issa, a member of the US House of
Representatives' Judiciary Committee, said that Sen. Fritz
Hollings' controversial Security Systems Standards and
Certification Act (SSSCA) is 'dead on arrival in Judiciary.'
Speaking to Embedded Linux Journal at the Consumer Electronics
Show in Las Vegas today, the California Republican said he is
opposed to the bill, which would establish a government-mandated
copy restriction system for all digital devices. Any House version
of the SSSCA would have to go through the Judiciary Committee, with
another committee possibly holding hearings as well, he said.
'Can the private sector deliver encryption? Of course they can.
It's a choice that people make,' Rep. Issa said. He called SSSCA 'a
bite at the apple that we've already consumed.' The 1998 Digital
Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) explicitly did not require devices
to honor copy restriction systems."
- IDG.net: Is the open-source movement being suckered by the SSSCA?(Dec 04, 2001)
- Troubleshooters.com: SSSCA's Bitter Harvest(Nov 09, 2001)
- Letter to the Editor: DMCA - We Can Change A Bad Law(Nov 02, 2001)
- Tonight Live: Should We Call For Public Protest Against SSSCA and Disney, Atipa(Oct 23, 2001)
- NewsForge: SSSCA gets a hearing Oct. 25 -- can it be stopped?(Oct 19, 2001)
- Arts and Farces: Convergence indeed: Picking cotton for Bill(Oct 17, 2001)
- InfoWorld: Troublesome horizon (SSSCA & W3C)(Oct 15, 2001)
- Red Hat: LEGISLATIVE ALERT: SSSCA - Security Systems Standards and Certification Act(Oct 09, 2001)
- USENIX: Proposed Legislation Significantly Affecting Computer Profession
(Oct 08, 2001)
- NewsForge: Ignore SSSCA, risk becoming a 'federal felon, overnight'(Oct 03, 2001)
- LinuxPlanet: .comment: Bought and Paid For(Oct 03, 2001)
- NewsForge: Fritz Hollings (D-Disney) avoids talking about SSSCA(Sep 21, 2001)
- osOpinion: Security Rules - the SSSCA's Potential Harm to the Digital Lifestyle(Sep 18, 2001)
- Ideas: The SSSCA and its potential effects(Sep 11, 2001)
- Wired: New Copyright Bill Heads to DC(Sep 08, 2001)