LinuxPlanet: .comment: The Trouble with January
Jan 16, 2002, 20:28 (2 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Dennis E. Powell)
WEBINAR: On-demand Event
Replace Oracle with the NoSQL Engagement Database: Why and how leading companies are making the switch REGISTER >
"Due to the terribly broken YaST2 Update function, the
move from SuSE 7.2 to SuSE 7.3 had involved wiping the / and /usr
partitions, so I have no idea what I was doing earlier with
XCDRoast. It was installed but unconfigured. Additionally, the new
version shipped with SuSE 7.3 is considerably different from the
version I had earlier. I did get it configured and, employing the
counterintuitive controls of XCDRoast, got an image file built.
Came time to burn the CDs. In projects like this, I like to
produce a dozen or more CDs to distribute to family and friends.
Imagine my chagrin when I got the message that the image was not
ISO-9660 compliant. (This could be due to the inclusion of both
Rock Ridge and Joliet extensions, but I don't think so; my
understanding of ISO-9660 is that it specifies the manner in which
the tracks will be placed on the CD, not their content, but I could
I burned one anyway. Then I took it to my lab rat machine to see
what XCDRoast hath wrought. It is January, so you should not be
surprised to learn that the CD reader on the lab rat sent the
message, "no media found." For the same reason, it is no innovation
that the CD reader in my wife's machine said the same thing. Still,
I was beginning to see a trend, and I concluded that there was
something terribly wrong with the way I was burning the CDs.
Fortunately, and entirely on a whim, I plugged my little PCMCIA CD
reader into the notebook, which happened to have a drive containing
OS/2. The CD was visible, as were the images. But none of the links
worked; even the thumbnail pages were long rows of boxes containing
broken links and question marks."