Red Hat Announces Skipjack Beta
Mar 23, 2002, 17:47 (63 Talkback[s])
Announcing a beta release of Red Hat Linux: Skipjack
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 23:03:27 -0500
Reply to: email@example.com
"I dunno... I've been with you the past two days, but I haven't seen
it yet. You're saying he walks in his sleep?"
"Yeah. He gets up, throws on a shirt, and opens up the laptop...
he types a little - even though it isn't plugged in - stares,
types again, and heads back to bed."
"Dude, that's screwed up. Sleeping and hacking at the same time?
Does he say anything?"
"He does, but I can't tell you what."
"Sure you can."
"No one but me heard it, and I'm not repeating it. Uh-oh, there
he is again. Watch."
"Where did he get the laptop?"
"He's had it with him the entire time."
"Aw, you're screwing with me - his eyes are open!"
"Hey, do they look *awake* to you?"
"Look - he's typing something!"
"He does that. Sometimes he'll be banging on the keyboard for 15
minutes without even turning it on."
"ARGH, *another* bug!"
"Whoa, he talks. I'd better write this down."
Yes, it's gotten to this. The developers are working in their sleep.
It's time for SKIPJACK, the new Red Hat Linux beta. Packed with the
very latest technology, SKIPJACK includes:
- the 2.4.18 kernel
- XFree86 4.2.0
- KDE 3.0pre
- GNOME 1.4, including Evolution
- Mozilla 0.9.9
As always, we do not recommend the use of beta software on mission
critical or production systems. In fact, we may laugh at those who
try. If by any chance, you find some of these problems that cause
us to become somnambulists, please report them at:
As always, you can find SKIPJACK at redhat.com. Specifically:
or, at the following mirrors:
- ftp://ftp.dulug.duke.edu/pub2/redhat/linux/beta/skipjack/ (http and also rsync access)
- ftp://ftp.shuttleamerica.com/pub/mirrors/redhat/linux/beta/skipjack/ (also rsync access)
- ftp://gd.tuwien.ac.at/pub/linux/redhat.com/dist/linux/beta/skipjack/ (http and also rsync access)
- ftp://sunsite.mff.cuni.cz/MIRRORS/ftp.redhat.com/redhat/linux/beta/skipjack/ (also rsync access)
- ftp://tux.cprm.net/pub/ftp.redhat.com/beta/skipjack/ (http)
- ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/mirrors/ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/beta/skipjack/ (ipv6)
- ftp://sunsite.icm.edu.pl/pub/Linux/redhat/linux/beta/skipjack/ (also rsync access)
- ftp://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/redhat/linux/beta/skipjack/ (http)
- ftp://planetmirror.com/pub/redhat/linux/beta/skipjack/ (http)
- ftp://ftp.kddlabs.co.jp/Linux/packages/redhat/redhat/linux/beta/skipjack/ (also rsync access)
or check http://www.redhat.com/download/mirror.html for a mirror near
For discussion of SKIPJACK, send mail to:
in the subject line. You can leave the body empty. Or see: