Release Digest: GNU, June 26, 2002
Jun 27, 2002, 05:00 (0 Talkback[s])
WEBINAR: On-demand Event
Replace Oracle with the NoSQL Engagement Database: Why and how leading companies are making the switch REGISTER >
GNU Smalltalk 2.0
GNU Smalltalk 2.0 has been released on
This is an important release. Doing a major release has allowed us to break
backwards compatibility in a few selected areas to get a lot nearer to our
target of ANSI compliancy and providing a full set of full-featured and
well-organized libraries for Smalltalk development.
Here is a brief list of changes:
- A complete code cleanup was done for the virtual machine, adding
several hundred lines of comments
- Texinfo documentation is included for most of the included class
libraries. Texinfo allows generation, in turn, of html, docbook, and
several other formats
- Reviewed and refactored TCP class libraries (prepared
for IPv6 though not supporting it yet),
- A class library to support a few common Internet protocols (FTP,
SMTP, HTTP, POP3). This is a refactored version of the library
in the public domain SmallWalker web browser.
- ANSI-compliance test suites
- Support for GNU MP for faster large integer operations and
a reimplementation of Fractions for better speed.
- IEEE754 floating-point numbers
- extensive usage of namespaces and a new Namespace Browser tool
- initial support for virtual filesystems (à la GNOME)
There are lots of bugfixes and other minor changes; see
ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/smalltalk/NEWS for a complete list.