Release Digest: GNOME, April 10, 2003
Apr 11, 2003, 05:00 (0 Talkback[s])
Background Buddy v1.1
Background Buddy v1.2
Automatic wallpaper changing daemon for GNOME 2
Single application now works with multiple window managers.
Now supports multiple directories, and completely configured via command
GNOME Software Map entry
Totem "Novocaine" 0.96.0 is out.
Totem is simple movie player for the Gnome desktop based on xine. It
features a simple playlist, a full-screen mode, seek and volume
controls, as well as a pretty complete keyboard navigation.
* GNOME 2.2 or newer
* xine-lib beta 10 or newer
* Added subtitles and audio languages selection menus for DVDs
* Added support for setting the network connection speed
* Added mousewheel support for all the sliders
* Added an "Open Location" menu item to the File menu
* Make it possible to make screenshots of the vis plugins, and switch them
off and on on-the-fly
* Add 'Always on Top' functionality
* Added an Eject button
* Add SMIL playlist support, and differentiate Real Video playlists from th=
actual video files
* Thumbnails now have "film-like" holes on their sides, like cells
* Fix lockups on Red Hat Linux 9
* Make the playlist and the label use CDDB information
* Use an internal mixer for the volume instead of the system one
* Use the configured CD device for the CDDA plugin
* Fix a crash when it was a URI being drag and not a local filename
* Fix build system for the thumbnailer's schemas
* Much less verbosity on the command line
* Fix a problem with the "remote" API which would make Totem receive only
the first file of a list of them
* Fix a crash when changing the resolution of the screen, in fullscreen mod=
Not available on the website, sorry, the website is moving soon...
Bastien Nocera <<A HREF="mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org">email@example.com>
XML Security Library 1.0.0rc1
XML Security Library 1.0.0rc1
Implementation of XML Security specs: XML Digital Signature, XML
The final release candidate XML Security Library 1.0.0rc1 includes:
- minor API polishing;
- complete API Reference Manual;
- new chapters in the tutorial;
- several new examples;
- using major version number in library file names to prevent
collisions between different library versions.
GNOME Software Map entry
GNOME Development Series Snapshot 2.3.0
GNOME Development Series Snapshot 2.3.0: "Mighty Atom"
The GNOME Development Series Snapshot 2.3.0 "Mighty Atom", is ready for your
bug-busting and testing pleasure! It is available for immediate download on
ftp ftp.gnome.org and mirrors:
tar.bz2: 79M total
WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!
This release is an UNSTABLE development series snapshot. It is intended for
testing and hacking purposes ONLY. Like the Linux kernel, GNOME uses odd
minor version numbers to indicate development status, so this 2.3.x series
will eventually become the official 2.4 release. Please check the 2.3 start
page for more information: http://www.gnome.org/start/2.3/
The following modules have been proposed for inclusion in the next major
GNOME release, and have been released with 2.3.0 for testing:
battfink - Energy saving and battery status utility.
fontilus - Font management and information tools.
galeon - A GNOME web browser based on Gecko.
gcalctool - A full-featured calculator.
gnome-mag - Desktop magnification tool.
gok - The 'GNOME On-screen Keyboard', an accessibility tool.
gpdf - An xpdf-based PDF viewer.
gucharmap - A full-featured unicode character map tool.
nautilus-cd-burner - Integrated CD burning tool for Nautilus (requires
as-yet-unreleased changes to Nautilus for full integration).
themus - Theme management and information tools.
zenity - Provides graphical prompts and dialogues in shell scripts.
Other modules, such as gnome-speech, gnopernicus, epiphany and gnome-network
have been proposed for inclusion, but not released for testing. These may be
included in a later release.
- The tarballs included in the release. :-)
- Some very basic packages not distributed with this release, such as
image libraries, popt and freetype. These should all be included with or
available for your distribution.
- Xft2 and fontconfig for superior font rendering and configuration, from
http://fontconfig.org/ OR XFree86 4.3.x.
- Docbook DTD 4.1.2, Docbook XSL stylesheets and a valid system catalogue
file for scrollkeeper (which in turn is required by many desktop
components for documentation).
- The GNOME Release Team
GU4DEC: June 16th-18th in Dublin, Ireland http://www.guadec.org/
"Learning and doing is the true spirit of free software -- learning
without doing gets you academic sterility, and doing without learning
is all too often the way things are done in proprietary software." -
Gnome SuperUser 0.3
A gtk frontend to su. Designed as a stop-gap for linux users until Gnome
an integrated authentication infrastructure. Lets you run any program as
root or any other user. Requires zvt until I can work out how to port it
Enhancements / Changes
Changes since 0.3
- Add Man page
- Hopefully fix bug with systems where su prints last login time
- Fix bug that broke the -u switch
Details on: http://xsu.sf.net
Bill Allombert <<A HREF="mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org">email@example.com> and Ari Pollak <<A HREF="mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org">email@example.com>
For the Manpage.
Darren Warner <<A HREF="mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org">email@example.com> for fix for -u bug.
Oliver Schwank <<A HREF="mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org">email@example.com> for reporting a bug.
.--=3D [ MArk Finlay - sisob ] =3D--.
[ Gnome User's Board : www.gnomesupport.org/forums ]
[ Public Key: http://evolvedoo.sf.net/sisobatericomdotnet.asc ]