Release Digest: GNOME, August 25, 2003
Aug 26, 2003, 05:00 (1 Talkback[s])
I am pleased to announce the availability of gFTP 2.0.15. Here
is a list of changes since version 2.0.14:
- I18N improvements in GTK+ 2.0 port. If the remote server is not
returning output in UTF8, it will first attempt to convert it from
the local character set and if that fails it will try the character
sets listed in the remote_charsets option.
- Added an improved internal configuration interface. You can now
override just about any option in the bookmarks dialog for a
- Each protocol that gFTP supports is now completely self
contained in its own file. So, if gFTP doesn't support your
favorite protocol, it should be pretty easy to add support
- When you attempt to connect to a site and there is a fatal
error, gFTP will abort properly and no longer keep trying to log
back into the server.
- Fixes for transferring files greater than 2.1GB.
- Improved throttling of file transfers.
- Added support to expire cache entries after a particular period
- FTP: Added IPV6 support. gFTP is almost 100% IPV6 compatible.
If you are not using a proxy server, you will not run into any
issues. The list of local networks to not use the proxy server is
still currently IPV4 only.
- FTP: Added ability to parse VMS directory listings.
- FTP: The firewall_* options were renamed to ftp_proxy_* for
better consistency with the other protocols.
- SSH2: More informative error messages when the initial
connection to the emote server fails. You should hopefully not see
those "Messages size too ig" error messages anymore.
- SSH2: Improved the PTY interface.
- Removed legacy SSH protocol. THe SSH2 protocol is now the only
SSH protocol supported. You had to enable an option in 2.0.14 to be
able to use this protocol.
- HTTP: Lots of improvements to this protocol.
- Added support for the HTTPS protocol. I added a generic SSL
layer to the code so that other SSL protocols can be easily
- The bookmarks and configuration file is now only written if
something changed during this session.
- Build fixes for various platforms
- Lots of cleanups and improvements to the core library. Also
lots of bug fixes throughout the code.
- New language translations and updates (am ar ca cs es fr hu ja
mk ms nl pl pt pt_BR ru sr sr@Latn sv tr uk zh_TW). Thanks to
everybody that has contributed language updates!
Changes from 2.0.15rc1 to 2.0.15rc2
- Largefile (>2.1GB) fixes.
- When resuming files, look up the right option name. gFTP would
bail out whenever it couldn't look up the right option.
- Fixes to the permissions of files when they are first
transfered. New files are created with the mode 0644 &
- Change to the proper local directory when one was enabled with
- Fixed crash that would occur in the options dialog when you hit
Apply, then OK.
- Fixed possible division by 0 when transfering a file.
- Fixed double free of a gftp_file structure member (utf8_file).
This was not present in 2.0.14.
- FreeBSD PTY and password prompt fixes.
- Detect write errors properly.
- Added --info argument to the command line. This will give some
information about how gFTP was compiled.
Changes from 2.0.15rc2 to 2.0.15
- FTP: Fixes for selecting ASCII/Binary transfers
- Fixed crash when deleting files in the GTK+ port
- Fixed parsing directory listings that have timestamps that are
not in the current locale.
- More largefile support fixes.
- Updated translations (cs, pl, sr, sr@Latn, sv)
5a076c251c1d81cace49ebe197c0d70a ftp gftp-2.0.15.tar.gz
a5ab28b84a27708a0ee8cb8732e76151 ftp gftp_2.0.15-1_i386.deb
I would like to thank everyone that has submitted patches, bug
reports, translations, or offered ideas for improvements.
Isabella GPL Font 1.0
A couple of weeks ago I posted here about the Isabella font I
created, a calligraphic hand from 1497: <http://www.thibault.org/fonts/isabella/>;,
and released under the GPL. Just wanted to say that I've pretty
much wrapped up my work on it and called it 1.0. I'm hoping it will
get some adoption; it's disappointing that Linux doesn't come with
a Gothic font. :-)
The font has all of ASCII, Latin-1, Latin Extended A, and Latin
Extended Additional, plus about a third of Latin Extended B, plus a
bunch of punctuation characters, including a Euro symbol. So it
should work for most languages that use the Roman alphabet.
Available in TrueType, for Unix, Mac, and Windows; PostScript
also available, but it acts oddly in on-screen use.
Feedback is invited, of course. :-)
|John Stracke | http://www.thibault.org |HTML OK|
Workrave is a program that assists in the recovery and
prevention of repetitive strain injury (RSI). The program
frequently alerts you to take micro-pauses and rest breaks, and
restricts you to your daily limit. It currently runs on GNU/Linux
- Added exercises.
- Workrave has been translated to Polish, Danish and Spanish.
Many thanks to Mikolaj Machowski, Christian Vejlbo, and Pablo
- Multihead support for X11. Workrave now shows break windows on
- Workrave can now cope with changes in system time and OS
features like suspend-to-ram.
- Previously, the end time that showed up in the stats dialog
equaled the time at which the clock reset (typically equal to the
start of the next working day). This lead to weird from/to times,
as in: "From 8:46 to 9:10". Fixed.
- Added an icon to the skip/postpone buttons on break
- Many laptop pointer devices "drift" over time. This used to
cause Workrave to detect activity when there was in fact none.
Fixed, thanks to Chung-chieh Shan.
- On Windows, Workrave now notices when Explorer crashes and will
try to reinsert the tray icon in the new Explorer taskbar that is
created when Explorer restarts.
- Rewrote the user input blocking mechanism on Windows. You
should no longer experience visual quirks (like flashing windows or
unexpectedly focusing random windows) during breaks.
- On Linux, Workrave now notices when the gnome-panel crashes and
will reinsert the applet in the new panel.
- The content of the status window can now be configured.
- Breaks can now be disabled.
What is it?
Epiphany is a GNOME web browser based on the mozilla rendering
The name meaning:
"An intuitive grasp of reality through
something (as an event) usually simple and striking"
You can find more info about the project goals at: http://epiphany.mozdev.org
- Use WARN_CXXFLAGS for mozilla code, fix warnings on gcc 3.2
- Fix a possible crash when setting zoom (Christian Persch)
- Fix a warning when trying to remove items with CANC from empty
history (Christian Persch)
- Use small spinner with text beside icon style (Anders
- Fix reimporting logic when bookmarks file has a wrong version
Where can I get it?
Epiphany 0.9.2 requires 1.4, 1.5a.
The suggested version is Mozilla 1.4:
More about dependencies and installation tips: http://epiphany.mozdev.org/downloads.html
gnome-pkgview 1.0.2 (Effra)
Displays the version of desktop components installed, and makes
a stab at your overall GNOME version.
- Attempts to show an appropriate logo for common
- Ensure --help output is internationalized.
- Lots of updated translations.
gcalctool is the desktop calculator that has been accepted for
GNOME 2.4. It has Basic, Financial and Scientific modes. Internally
it uses multiple precision arithmetic to produce results to a high
degree of accuracy.
This release is for the GNOME 2.4 (Beta2) call for tarballs.
- Fixed bug 119888. gcalctool keyboard handling has been
- Fixed bug 119832. The space bar can now correctly activate the
button that has focus.
- "da" translation from Ole Laursen (thanks!).
- "hi" translation from Guntupalli Karunakar (thanks!).
[Although some of the ftp mirrors may take a little while to
Coriander is a full-featured GUI for IIDC compliant, IEEE1394
- fixed a bug in SDL_init that broke the display resize.
- fixed stupid businfo allocation in main.c
- added missing mutex init during in NewCamera()
- fixed a little GTK problem during camera addition on the
- F7 available modes are probed correctly.
- format7 mode 7 could not be seen in the F7 tab/mode
- added format tags for mode names in the format menu
- fixed white balance sliders that were not updated
A GNOME tray applet for changing network proxy configuration.
With this applet you can change your proxy-settings with a single
click just like you were used to with Galeon 1.x.
- New menu lay-out
- Used glade-sharp for all the GUI
- Cleaned up code
- GUI more HIGified