Release Digest: GNOME, April 25, 2004
Apr 26, 2004, 05:00 (0 Talkback[s])
Gnome Jabber Instant Messenger 0.4
If you don't know what this is, skip down a bit and see the
I have called this release "slow down" because now I have done
this release I dedicate my time to Gossip. I have been doing bits
and pieces for Gossip with Mikael and Richard (of http://www.imendio.com) and really
just did this release because a lot had changed and not a lot had
been released :)
Gnome Jabber Instant Messenger 0.4
An Instant Message Client for Gnome using the Jabber Protocol
(which supports all major IM protocols, like ICQ, MSN, AIM, etc).
- Added presence preset editor.
- Fixed bug where ok'ing preferences would put people on the
roster if their presence was an error type.
- Improved Event Viewer (added Event ID and moved the columns
- Moved configuration over to GConf using the old config system
- Improved chat code, added /me support, plus chat dialogs
remember conversations now.
- Fixed a problem where the status text under a some users was
not being updated on the Roster.
- Cleaned up preferences dialog. Made the interface more usable.
All the options are still customisable (in gconf-editor) just not
all of them are shown in Gnome Jabber.
- Improved roster window when setting presence. Now it does not
present the presence dialog (to set the status message), this is
- Fixed bug where transports were not being shown on the
- Fixed roster contact flashing problems.
- Added a generic timer dialog for all those places where the
user waits for a response of some kind.
- Fixed inconsistancy with the Jabber specifications about how
presence is sent (Ralph Meijer).
- Fixed bug #124033, Browse Services dialog has the buttons in
the wrong order (as per Gnome standard way of presenting buttons)
- Fixed bug #124037, About stock icon now used from Help menu in
the Roster window. I didnt use this previously because of errors
associated with the Windows build - we just ignore this warning now
- Fixed bug #124039, My information dialog was using CR breaks
between labels and now it uses separate labels. This is to do with
presentation in other languages (Colin Marquardt).
- Fixed bug #124050, Add Contact information is clearer than
previously done (Colin Marquardt).
- Moved the logging and history (under Linux) to
~/.gnome2/gnome-jabber, preferences utilise GConf.
- Command line parameters are now used to determin if debugging
and logging to screen should be utilised.
- Fixed bug #124036, Composing message now times out for other
party in conversation. This is typically a problem with Hotmail
accounts and has been reported too for ICQ accounts (Colin
- Re-worked the CORE engine used to work the roster and roster
items, this had MAJOR implications on other parts of the jabber
engine and gui - so BIG changes there.
- Fixed IQ Responses (jabber:iq:version, jabber:iq:time and
jabber:iq:last) to use the ID that the original request sent as
part of the response (other clients wern't getting the
- Fixed bug #124038, agents are now shown 100% of the time
(unless turned off in the preferences) and have their own group
- Re-worked the Message and Chat windows.
- Fixed bug #124890, resources were broken after the roster
re-write (Colin Marquardt).
- Updated the Away and XA default messages.
- Fixed bug #124434, connection dialog status'/errors
translations not in gnome-jabber.pot (Colin Marquardt).
- Fixed bug #125035, Add Contact dialog had a hidden checkbox and
the text on the finish page suggested using it to add further
contacts, checkbox is now removed and text updated (Colin
- Fixed bug #126206, roster flashing (messages, etc) was flashing
blank/message icon, now it flashes presence icon/message icon
- Improved the way a user sees their own presence. This shows
their details as it would normally be on the roster for others. The
user can also change their presence details from here.
- Fixed bug #124983, presented messages should not take focus too
- New translations:
Aleix Badia i Bosch (ca),
Miloslav Trmac (cs),
Adam Weinberger (en_CA),
Gareth Owen (en_GB),
Francisco Javier F. Serrador (es) Alastair McKinstry (ga), email@example.com (hr),
Tino Meinen (nl),
Kjartan Maraas (no),
Duarte Loreto (pt),
Gustavo R. Montesino (pt_BR)
- Updated translations:
Colin Marquardt (de),
F. Brin (fr),
Andrey Lebedev (ru),
Danilo Segan (sr),
Danilo Segan (sr@Latn),
Christian Rose (sv),
gnome-pkgview 1.0.6 (Vintry)
Displays the version of desktop components installed, and makes
a stab at your overall GNOME version.
This should be the last 1.0.x release. Now I'd like to tackle
some of the pile of feature requests which have arrived over the
- Fix a couple of long-standing build irritations.
- Croatian translation by Robert Sedak.
- Punjabi translation by Guntupalli Karunakar.