The A-Z of Programming Languages: Perl
Dec 12, 2008, 13:04 (7 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Rodney Gedda)
WEBINAR: On-demand webcast
How to Boost Database Development Productivity on Linux, Docker, and Kubernetes with Microsoft SQL Server 2017 REGISTER >
"Was there a particular problem you were trying to solve?
"You can tell the other problem by the reaction Perl got from
the die hards in the Unix community. They said tools should do one
thing and do them well. But they didn't understand Perl was not
envisioned as a tool so much as a machine shop for writing
"How did the name Perl come about?
"I came up with the name as I wanted something with positive
connotations. The name originally had an "a" in it. There was
another lab stats language called Pearl, so I added another
backronym. The second one is Pathologically Eclectic Rubbish
"Do you ever find yourself using the “backronym”
Practical Extraction and Report Language at all?
"It is meant to indicate that there is more than way to do it,
so we have multiple backronyms intentionally."
- Perl 6 to Break Compatibility, Support Other Interpreters(Dec 08, 2008)
- What Programming Language For Linux Development?(Dec 08, 2008)
- Top 10 Software Development Articles of 2008(Dec 02, 2008)
- Perl, Outsourcing and China(Nov 15, 2008)
- The LXF Guide: Write a Perl module(Oct 08, 2008)
- Tip of the Trade: Make Perl Scripts More Readable With perltidy(Sep 30, 2008)
- Unique Sorting Of Lists And Lists Of Lists With Perl For Linux Or Unix(Sep 06, 2008)
- Sorting Perl Lists And Removing Duplicates On Linux Or Unix(Sep 05, 2008)