Slackware Release Announcement
Aug 28, 2009, 18:33 (0 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Patrick Volkerding)
"Here are some of the advanced features of Slackware 13.0:
- Runs the 184.108.40.206 version of the Linux kernel from
Also included is a kernel patched with Speakup to support speech
synthesizers providing access to Linux for the visually impaired
community. The 2.6.x kernel series has matured into a stable
kernel, and provides reliable performance for your desktop or your
- System binaries are linked with the GNU C Library, version 2.9.
This version of glibc also has excellent compatibility with
- X11 based on the X.Org Foundation's modular X Window System.
There's been much activity in the X development world, and the
improvements in terms of performance and hardware support are too
numerous to mention them all here.
- Installs gcc-4.3.3 as the default C, C++, Objective-C,
Fortran-77/95, and Ada 95 compiler.
- Support for fully encrypted network connections with OpenSSL,
OpenSSH, OpenVPN, and GnuPG."