Apple and Adobe's war of words heats up
May 01, 2010, 13:04 (8 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols)
[ Thanks to sjvn for this
"Steve Jobs anti-Adobe Flash rant is really quite a
remarkable document both for what it says, and what it doesn't say.
"First, and foremost, there's the fact that Jobs spends most of
his time complaining about the Flash format and ignoring the real
beef Adobe has with Apple. Sure Adobe doesn't like that Apple won't
let Adobe Flash on its iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch platforms. But,
that's not what has Adobe executives ticked off to the point that
they're telling Apple to go screw themselves and that they're
quietly considering suing Apple.
"No, what has Adobe ticked off is that Apple changed its iPhone
SDK (software development kit) license so that developers couldn't
even submit programs to Apple that use cross-platform compilers.
This blocks all Adobe developers from creating applications for the
iDevice family. Worst still, Adobe had just finished building its
latest master suite of graphic, document and Web development tools,
Adobe Creative Suite 5, which included tools to port applications
to the iPhone and all the rest. I don't think you can blame Adobe
for being a wee bit annoyed."
- Jobs on Flash: Hypocrisy So Thick You Could Cut it with a Knife(Apr 30, 2010)
- Steve Jobs�s Touch Is What Ubuntu�s Missing: Rich Jaroslovsky(Apr 30, 2010)
- Apple: Worse for open source than Microsoft?(Apr 29, 2010)
- Why Mobile Patents are Such a Mess(Apr 29, 2010)
- Adobe clutches chance to bury Steve Jobs 'hog' insult(Apr 24, 2010)
- Ubuntu would welcome Adobe to Linux(Apr 23, 2010)
- Hey Adobe, Dump Apple, Go Linux(Apr 21, 2010)
Apple driving Adobe into Android's arms?(Apr 21, 2010)