Linux Today: Linux News On Internet Time.
Search Linux Today
Linux News Sections:  Developer -  High Performance -  Infrastructure -  IT Management -  Security -  Storage -
Linux Today Navigation
LT Home
Contribute
Contribute
Link to Us
Linux Jobs

More on LinuxToday

Developer Linux News for Dec 08, 2010

• Linux vendors standardize on LSB 4.0 as 4.1 enters Beta (Dec 08, 2010, 20:32)
    Netstat -vat: "In July of 2008, the Linux Foundation started the process for standardizing Linux with the Linux Standards Base 4.0 spec."

• Corporate change: Contributing to open source (Dec 08, 2010, 20:02)
    OpenSource.com: "Armed with a healthy dose of idealism, I went to executive management and proposed we open source the tool. I was hoping for a no-brainer and a quick decision at the division level. To my surprise, it took two years"

• Interesting kernel exploit posted (Dec 08, 2010, 19:02)
    LWN.net: "I've included here a proof-of-concept local privilege escalation exploit for Linux. Please read the header for an explanation of what's going on. Without further ado, I present full-nelson.c:"

• NVIDIA Comments On Its Linux Driver Architectue (Dec 08, 2010, 18:32)
    Phoronix: "Andy Ritger who heads the NVIDIA Unix Graphics Driver team, has provided us some brief comments with regards to their ongoing architectural work."

• Canonical Donates Server to KDE (Dec 08, 2010, 18:02)
    KDE.news: "KDE is a growing community with growing needs. The KDE Sysadmin team works hard to keep up, but lately the servers have been coming under some strain."

• Create a PHP-based Twitter Client with the PEAR Services_Twitter (Dec 08, 2010, 17:02)
    PHPBuilder: "Like many developers, I tend to be pretty exacting when it comes to my programming environment. My disdain for any application that doesn't work exactly as I expect it to extends well beyond development-specific tools, which was the primary motivation behind migrating my laptops to Ubuntu a year or so ago."

• Rubin Demos Honeycomb Tablet, NFC on Nexus S with Gingerbread (Dec 08, 2010, 01:32)
    Enterprise Mobile Today: "Google's Android czar Andy Rubin during a presentation yesterday showed off a prototype of a Motorola Android tablet running Honeycomb, the next version of the Linux mobile OS that's optimized for slate PCs and due out early next year."

• Java 7 and 8 Get the Green Light Over Apache Opposition (Dec 08, 2010, 00:02)
    DevX: "The technical specifications for both Java 7 and Java 8 have been passed by the Java Community Process (JCP) in an executive committee vote. The vote for both JSR-336 on Java 7 and JSR-337 on Java 8 was 12 in favor and three opposed."