Exploring the software behind Facebook, the world’s largest site
Jul 13, 2010, 17:08 (1 Talkback[s])
WEBINAR: On-demand Event
Replace Oracle with the NoSQL Engagement Database: Why and how leading companies are making the switch REGISTER >
"At the scale that Facebook operates, a lot of traditional
approaches to serving web content break down or simply aren't
practical. The challenge for Facebook's engineers has been to keep
the site up and running smoothly in spite of handling close to half
a billion active users. This article takes a look at some of the
software and techniques they use to accomplish that.
"Facebook's scaling challenge
"Before we get into the details, here are a few factoids to give
you an idea of the scaling challenge that Facebook has to deal
* Facebook serves 570 billion page views per month (according to
Google Ad Planner).
* There are more photos on Facebook than all other photo sites
combined (including sites like Flickr).
* More than 3 billion photos are uploaded every month.
* Facebook's systems serve 1.2 million photos per second. This
doesn't include the images served by Facebook's CDN."
- Facebook Open Sources Insights Script For Developers(Jun 09, 2010)
- Will an open-source alternative to Facebook actually work?(Jun 02, 2010)
- Is there a replacement for Facebook?(May 28, 2010)
- Google? Facebook? Who Do You Trust?(May 27, 2010)
- Bad Stuff About Facebook, But Not What You Think(May 26, 2010)
- Facebook, MySpace Confront Privacy Loophole(May 21, 2010)
- Facebook: Friend, or Frenemy?(May 04, 2010)