UnixReview: The Open Road: Son of Squid, One Bad Apple, and a Bug
Oct 29, 2001, 13:09 (0 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier)
"Last month, I talked a little bit about Squid, a Web
proxy cache, and how to set it up. Although you could run Squid in
the default configuration, how much fun would that be? In this
month's column, I'll look at a few of the important configuration
parameters. Squid has tons of configuration options, so I can't go
into them all here. For those who want to get deep into the Squid
functionality, the Squid configuration manual and user guide cover
all the bases.
Because Squid is all about caching objects, there are a number
of configuration options that deal with the way Squid stores
objects in its cache. Individual needs vary greatly according to
how Squid is used, so you'll probably want to tweak the config
options for maximum performance.
Depending on the size of objects you expect Squid to handle, you
may want to adjust the default setting for maximum object size.
This is stored in the configuration file as maximum_object_size.
The default is set at 4096 KB, so if you want Squid to cache
objects larger than 4 MB, you'll need to increase this value. On
the other hand, for my home use, I don't need to cache objects that
large, so I set it to 2048 KB. (However, if everyone in your office
just discovered the Quicktime movie "Trooper Clerks," you might
want to set it much higher...)"
- UnixReview.com: A Look at Squid
(Sep 30, 2001)
- O'Reilly Network: Authentication and Squid(Aug 12, 2001)
- O'Reilly Network: Using Squid on Intermittent Connections(Aug 05, 2001)
- Linux Journal: Deploying the Squid proxy server on Linux(Feb 17, 2001)
- LinuxWorld: Ask the Geek: Configuring a quick-and-dirty router and proxy(Feb 16, 2001)
- FreeOS.com: Setting up Squid as your caching HTTP/FTP proxy(Oct 24, 2000)
- O'Reilly Network: Deploying Squid, (Part 2 of 2)(Mar 11, 2000)
- Byte.com: Proxy Internet Access With Squid Using Proxy Servers(Mar 06, 2000)
- LinuxPlanet: Do-It-Yourself Caching: Squid 2.3 - Why Caching is Essential(Mar 01, 2000)