DukeOfURL Closes Down
Dec 21, 2001, 21:17 (11 Talkback[s])
WEBINAR: On-demand webcast
How to Boost Database Development Productivity on Linux, Docker, and Kubernetes with Microsoft SQL Server 2017 REGISTER >
The DukeOfURL web site, frequently linked on Linux Today and
well-liked for in-depth hardware and distribution reviews, is
shutting down. Going back nearly two years, DukeOfURL articles have
been linked on these pages nearly 100 times.
"There's been quite a bit of discussion about the site
going down. Quite a bit more than I expected. Thanks for everyone's
kind words and news posts about it. Still, I'd like to clarify a
few things on why the site is shutting down.
First off, running a site costs money. Regardless of whether or
not I'm getting my bandwidth and such cheaply, I'm still paying to
maintain a server (as in, keep it up to date). I get some free
hardware, but I'm not about to "review" a power supply, as that's
basically an advertisement. Things like that come out of my pocket.
Not that I'm bitter, but it's just another cost that goes into
running a site.
Secondly, handing the site off to someone else is easier said
than done. My information is useful as is and will be for a while,
I suppose. Teaching someone the tricks of the trade is easier said
than done. I've tried it several times on the site, and it just
hasn't met my standards. I always ended up falling back into things
and taking the helm again. This was fine when I had a lot of time
to dedicate to the site."
- DukeOfURL: Pogo Linux Altura Athlon XP Workstation Review(Nov 30, 2001)
- DukeOfURL: Mandrake Linux PowerPack 8.1 Review(Nov 21, 2001)
- DukeOfURL: Conectiva Linux 7.0 Review(Nov 13, 2001)
- DukeOfURL: SuSE Linux 7.2 Professional Review(Oct 04, 2001)
- DukeOfURL: Caldera OpenLinux Workstation 3.1(Sep 29, 2001)
- DukeOfURL.org: Applixware Office 5.0(Sep 03, 2001)
- DukeOfURL.org: Gigabyte GA-7DXR on Linux(Aug 19, 2001)
- DukeOfURL.org: Slackware Linux 8.0 Review(Aug 08, 2001)
- DukeOfURL: Linux Buyer's Guide #12(Aug 02, 2001)
- DukeOfURL: Yellow Dog Linux 2.0 Review(Jul 18, 2001)