Mozilla 1.4, Netscape 7.1 Released
Jun 30, 2003, 21:00 (6 Talkback[s])
Mozilla.org: Mozilla 1.4 Released
[ Thanks to Thomas
Chung for this link. ]
From the What's New section of the Release Notes:
- "Mozilla on Windows now has support for NTLM authentication.
This enables Mozilla to talk to MS web and proxy servers that are
configured to use 'windows integrated security.'
- "Mozilla's bookmarks have been overhauled. Bookmarks now
include a root level folder, the ability to have two differently
named bookmarks pointing at the same location, site icons in the
Bookmark Manager and Bookmarks Sidebar, and separators now have
support for labels.
- "Composer now supports click and drag dynamic image and table
resizing. If an image is selected or if the caret is placed inside
a table, eight resizing handles appear and allow to resize the
image/table with a simple click/drag/release. In the case of an
image, the resizing is done real-time and a semi-opaque shadow of
the image at its target size is shown during resizing. A tooltip
shows in real-time the target size in pixels, and the relative
change in pixels too.
- "Mail now has junk-mail context menu items, a 'delete junk
mail' menu item and many other usability improvements for junk-mail
- "Pop-up blocking has been streamlined to improve
- "Users can now specify 'blank page,' 'home page,' or 'Last page
visited' for each of first window, new window and new tab.
- "Users can now specify default font, size and color for HTML
- "Image blocking/disabling is now more flexible and users can
'view image' to see blocked or not loaded images.
- "'Launch file' after downloading has been enabled for .exe
- "It is possible to build Mozilla for Win32 using GCC. See the
win32 build instructions for details.
- "Proxy auto-config (PAC) failover has been implemented
- "Mozilla 1.4 contains thousands of additional bugfixes,
including changes to improve performance, stability, web site
compatability, standards support, and usability..."
mozillaZine: Netscape 7.1 Released
"Netscape Communications Corporation today released its new
Netscape 7.1 browser, which is based on Mozilla 1.4. This
version--codenamed Buffy during development--offers several new
features, including automatic image resizing, which shrinks large
images to fit in the browser window, and Find As You Type, a tool
that allows users to search for links or text on a webpage just by
typing. Tweakers will appreciate the new editable about:config (try
setting the boolean general.smoothScroll preference to true to get
smooth scrolling) and Windows users can now log in to sites that
use NTLM authentication. Bookmarks, tabbed browsing and popup
blocking have all been improved and 7.1 should fit in better with
your desktop's look-and-feel.
"Mail & Newsgroups also has its share of enhancements with
junk mail detection, message views, improved filtering capabilities
(there's support for multiple actions, newsgroup filters and
running filters after the fact) and Address Book Palm
synchronisation. Composer hasn't been forgotten, with a 'breadcrumb
bar' of HTML elements on the Status Bar and click-and-drag dynamic
image and table resizing. In addition, there's improved support for
Web standards (such as WSDL proxying), better performance and
stability, and several thousand other bug fixes..."