Samba Team Announces Samba 3.0
Sep 25, 2003, 12:00 (8 Talkback[s])
[ and there was great rejoicing among the masses! And a
tiny voice squeeked, "See, I told you they would get it out
before the Linux 2.6 kernel" ]
The Samba Team is proud to announce the availability of the
first official release of the Samba 3.0 code base.
Major new features:
- Active Directory support. Samba 3.0 is now able to join a ADS
realm as a member server and authenticate users using
- Unicode support. Samba will now negotiate UNICODE on the wire
and internally there is now a much better infrastructure for
multi-byte and UNICODE character sets.
- New authentication system. The internal authentication system
has been almost completely rewritten. Most of the changes are
internal, but the new auth system is also very configurable.
- New default filename mangling system.
- A new "net" command has been added. It is somewhat similar to
the "net" command in windows. Eventually we plan to replace
numerous other utilities (such as smbpasswd) with subcommands in
- Samba now negotiates NT-style status32 codes on the wire. This
improves error handling a lot.
- Better Windows 2000/XP/2003 printing support including
publishing printer attributes in active directory.
- New loadable module support for passdb backends and character
- New default dual-daemon winbindd support for better
- Support for migrating from a Windows NT 4.0 domain to a Samba
domain and maintaining user, group and domain SIDs.
- Support for establishing trust relationships with Windows NT
4.0 domain controllers.
- Initial support for a distributed Winbind architecture using an
LDAP directory for storing SID to uid/gid mappings.
- Major updates to the Samba documentation tree.
- Full support for client and server SMB signing to ensure
compatibility with default Windows 2003 security settings.
- Improvement of ACL mapping features based on code donated by
The source code can be downloaded from :
The uncompressed tarball and patch file have been signed using
GnuPG. The Samba public key is available at
Binary packages are available at
A simplified version of the CVS log of updates since 3.0.0rc4
can be found in the the download directory under the name
ChangeLog-3.0.0rc4-3.0.0. The release notes are available on-line
Please file any bugs you find in this release at
As always, all bugs are our responsibility.
The Samba Team