Fedora vs. Ubuntu: Is Either Better?
Feb 03, 2010, 15:32 (12 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Bruce Byfield)
How You Can Improve Your Machine Learning with Spark REGISTER >
"Fedora or Ubuntu? That is a question that Linux users are
asking with increasing frequency.
"The question is not random -- the two distributions have
consistently topped the downloads on Distrowatch for the last two
years. Read Fedora and Ubuntu mail forums, and users who despair of
one are constantly announcing their intention to try the other.
Although other distributions, including Linux Mint, openSUSE, and
Mandriva, offer comparable features, for better or worse Fedora and
Ubuntu are widely viewed as the desktop distributions of
"Unsurprisingly, you can find dozens of comparisons of the two
on the Internet. However, except for one posted on PolishLinux.org,
few answers are detailed enough to be of much use. And since the
one on PolishLinux.org was made in 2006, it's at least six versions
behind the current releases (Fedora 12 and Ubuntu 9.10). So a new
extended answer seems overdue.
"The only trouble is, providing a definitive answer to the
question is not as easy as it used to be -- a discovery that, if
nothing else, suggests the current state of desktop Linux."
- The choices inside Ubuntu(Jan 28, 2010)
- KDE vs. GNOME: Configuration and Admin Tools(Jan 25, 2010)
- KDE vs. GNOME: Email Readers(Jan 20, 2010)
- KDE vs. GNOME: Photo and Music Management(Jan 13, 2010)
- Open Source in 2010: Nine Predictions(Dec 30, 2009)
- GNOME, GNU, and a long memory(Dec 17, 2009)
- Open Source Projects and the Meritocracy Myth(Dec 02, 2009)
- Why Does Everyone Hate Ubuntu(Nov 25, 2009)