Linux Mint 8 KDE Review
Apr 15, 2010, 00:04 (1 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Jim Lynch)
[ Thanks to Jim
Lynch for this link. ]
"I’ve been somewhat tardy in getting to the KDE
version of Linux Mint 8. But I’ve finally been able to sit
down with it and thus couldn’t resist writing a review. As
great as the GNOME version of Linux Mint is, it simply isn’t
for everybody. Many people still prefer KDE to GNOME and a separate
review is helpful for those looking for an alternative for GNOME.
"Please note that this release weighs in at a chunky 1.16GB so
it’s not going to fit onto a CD. You’ll need a DVD to
burn it to before you can run it as a Live DVD or install it on
your system. If you’re using VirtualBox, VMWare or Parallels,
you can just do a regular install from the ISO file.
"What’s New In This Release
" Linux Mint 8 KDE is based on Kubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala),
Linux 2.6.31, Xorg 7.4 and KDE 4.3.4.
"New Features & Changes
"Here’s a brief list of new stuff and changes: Screenshots
have been moved to the corner in Software Manager, this has freed
up more space to view software and see reviews.
"Now there is no need to manually refresh Software Manager,
instead you will be automatically notified of new
"Multiple application install/removal in Software Manager."
- Linux Mint 8 “Helena” Xfce released!(Apr 02, 2010)
- Linux Mint 8 �Helena� LXDE released!(Apr 02, 2010)
- Minimalist Linux desktops(Mar 29, 2010)
- Linux Mint 8 LXDE CE Review: LXDE Done Right(Mar 18, 2010)
- Latest Linux Mint News(Mar 01, 2010)
- Linux Mint 8 Fluxbox and KDE64 Editions Out Now(Feb 13, 2010)
- Why Mint over Ubuntu(Feb 11, 2010)
- Linux Mint 8 KDE Community Edition(Feb 09, 2010)
- LinuxCertified Laptop -- a review, and a side plug for Linux, and Mint!(Feb 06, 2010)