Webopedia Term of the Day: What is Cinnamon?
Jan 23, 2012, 10:02 (0 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Webopedia)
"A desktop graphics environment for Linux and other Unix-like
operating systems. Cinnamon is a fork of the GNOME 3 desktop
environment that features a traditional layout similar to GNOME 2
but with GNOME 3's more modern technology and newer features. The
mission of Cinnamon is to provide users with an "easy to use and
comfortable desktop experience" while also staying current with the
latest technology and capabilities.
"Cinnamon was developed by Clement Lefebvre, who also created
and continues to develop the Linux Mint distribution of Linux.
Linux Mint has also partnered on development of a somewhat
similarly focused GNOME-based desktop environment known as MATE.
But while MATE is built on a GNOME 2 foundation, only the desktop
layout of Cinnamon is similar to GNOME 2 -- the underlying
technology for Cinnamon is based on GNOME 3.
"Cinnamon can be installed in Linux Mint and operate alongside
the GNOME 2-based MATE desktop environment as well as GNOME 3 with
Mint GNOME Shell Extensions (MGSE), a set of desktop layer
components developed by Linux Mint that sits on top of GNOME
- Webopedia TOTD: What is Ubuntu Variants?(Jan 20, 2012)
- Webopedia Term of the Day: What is App Inventor?(Jan 12, 2012)
- Webopedia Term of the Day: Chromium Explained(Jan 06, 2012)
- Webopedia Term of the Day: What is httperf?(Dec 13, 2011)
- Webopedia Term of the Day: What are Butt Calls?(Nov 08, 2011)
- Webopedia Term of the Day: What is LinuxCon?(Nov 07, 2011)
- Webopedia Terms of The Day: Enterprise Application Defined(May 08, 2010)
- Webopedia Cool Term of The Day: Do you suffer from anticipointment?(Sep 14, 2009)
- Webopedia Terms of The Day: Web stacks Defined(Sep 12, 2009)
- Webopedia Terms of the Day: bliki and blog storm(Apr 03, 2009)
- Webopedia Term of the Day: femtocell(Apr 02, 2009)
- Webopedia Term of the Day: 802.11n(Apr 01, 2009)