National Post: Corel affiliates left rowing own boat
Sep 30, 2000, 16:08 (1 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Robert Thompson)
"The Linux startups that Corel Corp. invested in under Michael
Cowpland, former chief executive, have seen their financing cut and
the turnover in employees at the software maker has left them with
no communication with the Ottawa-based company."
"'After next week, I won't know anyone at Corel,' Buck Fleming,
president and founder of LinuxForce, a privately held Boulder, Co.,
firm that specializes in Linux services, said yesterday. 'But I
recognized some time ago that we had better row our own boat.'
Corel acquired a 33% stake in LinuxForce in December, 1999, with an
option to increase its interest in the company. Mr. Fleming is now
looking at ways to buy Corel's share."
"LinuxForce isn't alone in its struggles in dealing with Corel.
Ottawa-based Newlix Corp. has been told it will no longer receive
any funding from Corel, which has an undisclosed amount of money
invested in the private company in exchange for a 30% share."
- Reuters: Corel q3 revenue holds steady, losses shrink(Sep 28, 2000)
- National Post: Corel Corp. reports $10.7 million US loss, mostly tied to costs of restructuring(Sep 28, 2000)
- LinuxToday.com.au: How Long For Corel's Linux Strategy?(Sep 24, 2000)
- Corel to Receive $50 Million Cash Injection(Sep 21, 2000)
- SJ Mercury/Reuters: Corel strikes much-needed financing deal(Sep 19, 2000)
- Canada Computes: A case study in survival: Corel made the right decision, analysts say(Sep 12, 2000)
- Stockhouse.com: Linux: Red Hat and VA Linux Win Support, Corel Loses(Sep 10, 2000)
- VNU Net: Corel Wields Axe on Dublin Office(Sep 06, 2000)
- CNET News.com: Corel lays off 10 percent of work force to cut costs(Sep 06, 2000)
- ZDNet UK: Corel users face rethink(Aug 29, 2000)
- osOpinion: Memo to Corel: Be Proprietary, Be Proud, Be Profitable(Aug 24, 2000)
- ZDNet: Evan Leibovitch: Corel going south? Cowpland leaving can mean only one thing(Aug 23, 2000)
- IT-Director: Where now as Corel boss jumps ship?(Aug 17, 2000)
- VNU Net: Corel chief quits as problems mount(Aug 16, 2000)
- CNET News.com: Cowpland steps down from top spot at troubled Corel(Aug 15, 2000)
- Globe and Mail: Corel's Cowpland resigns top posts(Aug 15, 2000)