IBM to Microsoft: It's Small Biz Server War
Nov 11, 2008, 17:34 (0 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Joe Wilcox)
How You Can Improve Your Machine Learning with Spark REGISTER >
"That said, competitively, Microsoft should watch IBM's small
business server appliance package because:
* Office alternative Symphony is bundled along with Lotus
* IBM cut a virtualization deal with VMware—for businesses
needing to run Windows applications.
* A single appliance can be provisioned up to 500 clients,
whereas Microsoft's Small Business Server caps at 75 users and
Essential Business Server at 300.
* The business model is more subscription-like, which should
appeal to channel partners and customers, particularly in these
times of economic uncertainty.
* IBM claims low-touch setup and supporting services (such as
domain management and ISV software updates); the server software
dials up every 12 hours for these."