An Open Letter to Michael Dell: Why I have no choice but return my Ubuntu Inspiron Mini 10
Aug 24, 2009, 18:03 (6 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Tony Mobily)
"At that point, I actually hoped my computer was faulty -- I
must be the only person on Earth who would even hope for that! I
persisted and tried a few more times — the little beast would
freeze within three and six minutes. Guaranteed.
"I searched online. Mine wasn’t an isolated cases —
other people experienced freezes too with Inspiron Mini computer in
their stock installation. I wasn’t the only person
who’d bought a toaster that only made warm bread.
"Further online research revealed that tech support would have
asked me to reinstall GNU/Linux using the install disk that came
with the computer. I did just that. Result: it still froze, no
"That’s when I called the friendly tech support at Dell.
This was my very first call to tech support of any kind. The
technician, with his happy and broad Indian accent, explained to me
how to run the hardware tests, a necessary step before he could
pass me on to the Ubuntu specialists."
- Skype shutdown: where are free software and free protocols?(Aug 01, 2009)
- Free software heroes: from Stallman to Google, a list of inspiring individuals(Jul 13, 2009)
- Interview with Amanda McPherson of LinuxCon in Portland(Jul 10, 2009)
- Interview with Daniel Chalef of KnowledgeTree(Jul 09, 2009)
- Software Installation in GNU/Linux is Still Broken, and a Path to Fixing(Jun 24, 2009)
- Is Android the key to the GNU/Linux desktop? Really?(Jun 15, 2009)
- Free Software Magazine caught in the 3fn shutdown crossfire(Jun 08, 2009)
- Microsoft Encarta died - why? And will its contents be lost?(Apr 17, 2009)