Developer Layoffs Are Never Fair
Apr 12, 2010, 15:04 (0 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Eric Spiegel)
[ Thanks to James
Maguire for this link. ]
"My stomach turned as I stared at Marissa, the third developer
our company let go that very unpleasant day. Our firm was laying
off 13 developers out of a total of 30 – almost half the
"The first two had taken the news in stride, but there were more
difficult questions to come.
"My queasiness was driven by the fact that I didn't have a
really good answer for these tough questions. How an employee like
Marissa, who did nothing obvious to land her in this unfortunate
position, was now being shown the door was a fair question.
"She was well liked, a pretty good coder and had received
positive remarks from her clients. The journey to making the final
list was not easy and not perfect."
- IT Salary Guide (looking kind of flat...)(Mar 29, 2010)
- Surveys: IT job satisfaction plummets to all-time low(Jan 07, 2010)
- Sun Reductions Will Hit Open Source Efforts(Dec 23, 2009)
- Novell cuts 3 percent of its workforce, plus benefits(Nov 06, 2009)
- Sun to Pink-Slip 3,000 Workers(Oct 21, 2009)
- Oracle expected to axe jobs -- perhaps 10,000 -- after Sun deal(Apr 21, 2009)
- Sun Lays Off 1,500 as IBM Merger Looms(Apr 01, 2009)