Linux Today: Linux News On Internet Time.
Search Linux Today
Linux News Sections:  Developer -  High Performance -  Infrastructure -  IT Management -  Security -  Storage -
Linux Today Navigation
LT Home
Contribute
Contribute
Link to Us
Linux Jobs



Top White Papers




More on LinuxToday

Linux News for Sep 30, 2006

  • LinuxDevices: Mini Linux PC Breaks $100 Barrier (Sep 30, 2006, 20:00)
    "Taiwanese integrator E-Way Technology Systems is shipping a tiny, 200MHz x86-compatible mini PC for $99, in single quantities..."

  • LinuxWorld Australia: Graphic Eye for the Open Source Guy (Sep 30, 2006, 16:00)
    "There's no shortage of open source programmers out there. According to a recent study of 5,000 developers by the research firm IDC, fully 71 percent said they used open source software..."

  • Computerworld: Opinion: Second Look at Linux Proves Persuasive (Sep 30, 2006, 12:00)
    "It has reached the point where some foresee that it will become a serious threat to Microsoft..."

  • Linux Journal: The Pet Peevo with TiVo (Sep 30, 2006, 08:00)
    "I'm sorry to see that my blog entry on recent controversies over freedom turned into a thread about TiVo. But since TiVo seems to be such a hot button, I would like to address that issue directly..."

  • LinuxWorld Magazine: Why is the GPLv3 Debate About Linux? (Sep 30, 2006, 04:00)
    "And of course, the GPLv3 debate came up. Strange that the media makes it seem all about Linux. Chris and I agree--there are way too many copyright holders in Linux, the kernel, to change licenses now..."

  • When Open Source gets it 99% right... (Sep 30, 2006, 02:13)
    One of the most frustrating things about Open Source software is that frequently you end up with products that are 99% perfect, but the remaining 1% is so infuriatingly wrong that you end up wanting to just throw it in the trash.

    Take for example MythTV. I love MythTV, it's my primary mode of watching TV these days. I've got a dedicated Fedora box sitting in my rack with a 19" display hooked up, and I probably spend 30 hours a week watching content on it in my office. I have mentioned that I'm a media junkie, haven't I?


  • ServerWatch: Enterprise Unix Roundup: Unix Buzz Defies Prognosis (Sep 30, 2006, 00:00)
    "Anyone paying any sort of attention to the operating system world these days, has likely gotten the sense that Vista's stock is going down, Linux's is going up, and Unix's... Ah, perhaps its not as bad as one might think..."