SearchWin2000.com: The Linux love affair: Will users ever be able to commit?
Sep 26, 2001, 17:03 (27 Talkback[s])
[ Thanks to Jostein
Berntsen for this link. ]
"...Linux, an open-source Unix cousin, has captured a
lot attention from many of technology's most powerful juggernauts.
The Linux operating system is used in systems ranging from personal
digital assistants (PDAs) and Tivos (digital VCR-like machines) to
IBM mainframes and supercomputers. Last year, IBM pledged to spend
$1 billion on Linux and offers Linux on all of its servers. Big
Blue along with Hewlett-Packard, Intel and Computer Associates is
backing the non-profit Open Source Development Lab. The Lab is
charged with helping to bring enterprise class enhancements to
Linux and other open-source software.
Why then are IT shops taking a go-slow approach? Among the
reservations cited in the TechTarget survey and follow-up
interviews were: Expense of re-training end-users and IT staff,
concerns about the newness and long-term viability of the Linux OS,
lack of adequate vendor support, questions about security and
stability and a dearth of compatible business software.
"Most of our critical applications run on Windows NT/2000 and
not on Linux," said Tony Matos, manufacturing administrator with
Lockheed Martin Corporation NE&SS-Marine Systems of Baltimore,
Md., whose division is testing Linux as a Web server. "As more of
our engineering applications become available on Linux, we will
have to re-evaluate those critical processes," Matos added."
- InternetWeek: Work-Ready Linux(Sep 09, 2001)
- TechWeb: Storage Vendors' Next Challenge: Linux(Jan 05, 2001)
- Lou's Views: A Six Pack of Ponderables(Nov 29, 2000)
- TechnologyEvaluation.com: Caldera eDesktop Edges Out... Windows 2000 in Functionality - Part I(Jun 14, 2000)
- Information Week: Linux Faces Uphill Battle For The Desktop...(May 16, 2000)
- CRN: Linux is an attractive alternative for POS, but Microsoft, IBM still rule the market(Apr 19, 2000)
- osOpinion: Setting up a linux based server(Mar 31, 2000)
- CRN: VARs hope for Windows 2000 [& Linux] lift(Feb 15, 2000)
- GNet: How do Linux and Windows NT measure up in real life?(Feb 10, 2000)
- Joe Pranevich -- Moving to a Linux World(Dec 21, 1999)