GNOME 0.99.8 released
Feb 15, 1999, 20:58 (3 Talkback[s])
The GNOME team announces the "Still Conspicuously Skillful Cow"
release of GNOME (GNOME 0.99.8).
This release was engineered by Owen Taylor. A big thank to Owen
for making sure this release is easy to build and well tested and
thanks to all of the GNOME contributors for their hard work!
This is a condensed list of all the changes in "Still
Conspicuously Skillful Cow":
* GNOME Games
Something is wrong this time. We did not get a new game, this is
so strange, need to figure this out. We got a number of bug fixes
- Gnibbles has been bug fixed and updated a lot (Ian)
- gnometris got configurable shapes now (Marcin)
- Ian fixed a small problem in Gnome Mimes. Good Good.
- Ian updates the Gnothello interface. Err, I mean, now it is
- Renamed GYahtzee to Dice game.
- Same gnome does no longer crash (Ian)
- Sergey updated GnomeScott to use the GNOMEUIINFO_ macros.
The fixes and updates in gnome-libs usually reflect directly
into your favorite application, look for your favorite bug
- Memory usage reduction (Raster).
The code was using a lot of stack when loading XPM files. This is
no longer the case, it is fast and slim. This reduces in about
280ks the memory usage for applications that were loading xpms.
* GNOME Utils
- GHex supports DnD (Jaka)
- GTT bug fix (Owen)
* File Manager:
- GNOME configured editor is used when editing files (me)
- Desktop reloading bug fixes. Many properties-related bug fixes
- Provide an auto-arrange feature for the desktop icons
- Popup menus for empty regions in the file display
- File renames work (me).
- New icons from Tigert (more icons, tree view, Tigert).
- I swear the file manager will no longer hang while executing a
* Gnome Core
* Pager applet
- Pager applet got slimmed down. Less resources used. Still some
small leaks pending (George, Maciej, Raster, me).
- Pager applet draws windows in the correct order (Maciej, Owen,
- GMenu crash fixes. Not perfect. I think someone should review
* Gnome terminal
- Gnome Terminal should work while loading defaults for non-US
- Gnome Terminal has support for character classes
- Gnome Terminal hide status should be preserved now.
- Gnome Terminal supports split utmp/wtmp updates now.
* Session manager
- Many fixes updates from Felix and Owen. I wish I could
understand what it does to describe the fixes.
- Important feature: it has now an /sbin/init-like feature which
detects clients that are being restarted over and over (Felix)
- Fix the background setting for applets (George)
- Menu displays (empty) for empty folders (George)
- Fix the crash when changing the background (George)
- Session management fixes (George, Felix)
* GNOME PIM
- GnomeCalendar autosaves every time a change has been done to
the calendar now.
* GNOME Media
- GMix Uses stock pixmaps (Greg)
- CD change fix; CDDB reload bug fix; (Tim)
- GTCD now cuts long names (Tim)
- vu-meter UI enhancements (Greg)
* GTK Engines
- Yosh updated the libtool version.
- Owen fixed a number of bugs on the various engines
- Various fixed by Michael, Andrew and Elliot.
No more details are available, as they dont use Changelogs.
* Electric Eyes
- It comes up with a menu now if no images are used on the
command line (Raster).
the GNOME team.