dcsimg
Linux Today: Linux News On Internet Time.





InfoWorld: Microsoft to launch its Windows 2000 to a more skeptical marketplace

Feb 09, 2000, 17:23 (3 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Sandy Reed)

"The impending release of Windows 2000 is different from previous Windows launches. There will be the usual hoopla, but there's serious skepticism about Windows 2000..."

"* Of 400 IT managers at companies with at least 2,000 employees, only 11 percent are already writing enterprise apps for Windows 2000. Thirty percent won't write apps until 2001, and 32 percent said they will never write enterprise apps for the OS. Evans Marketing Services, which conducted the survey in December, contrasted the results with similar research from earlier in 1999. 'Corporate America is taking a wait-and-see attitude towards Windows 2000,' noted vice president Janel Garvin. '... support for Linux and open-source software is significantly stronger than six months ago and showing signs of growing fast.'

* Giga Information Group estimates that more than half of mainstream Windows 2000 server deployments will take place six to 18 months after the product ships. Of 1,100 IS managers polled by Giga, 47 percent believed Microsoft would deliver a relatively bug-free and easy-to-install Version 1.0; the other 53 percent were skeptical.

* Mixed-mode environments will be common for the next few years, according to the Gartner Group. Windows NT 4.0 will be viable through at least the end of 2004..."

Complete Story

Related Stories: