Geeks404.com: Six Ways to a Cool Linux Look - Customizing Your Desktop and Installing Themes
Jun 20, 2000, 18:37 (0 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by David Booss)
Desktop-as-a-Service Designed for Any Cloud ? Nutanix Frame
[ Thanks to BeOpen
for this link. ]
"One of the great features about Linux is its customizable
interfaces. GNOME, KDE, Enlightenment, BlackBox, XMMS, and many
other major applications allow you to customize their look and feel
through the use of themes. This allows you to truly
personalize and express yourself through your computer, and also
impress your friends with the latest and greatest themes. We'll
walk you through the installation of a few of these looks."
"If you installed GNOME, and use it as your desktop environment,
it has many customizable interface features. There are countless
themes for GNOME, which you can find at http://gtk.themes.org.
There, you will find a large selection of themes that you can
choose from, and download easily. Once you have chosen a theme, go
to the GNOME Control Center (under "Settings" in the GNOME menu).
From there, select Desktop->Theme Selector, and click Install
new theme.... Then select the theme you just downloaded, and hit
OK. In the Available Themes menu, you should now see the theme you
just installed. Click on it for a preview, and click either "Try"
to try the theme, or "OK" to set it as your theme. Then, exit the
Control Center, and move on to your next task."
"If you use KDE as your desktop environment instead of GNOME,
then you should go to http://kde.themes.org, and find a KDE theme
you like. Once you have found a good theme, download it, and go to
the KDE Control Center. From there, go to Desktop->Theme
Manager, and select "Add." Find the theme you just downloaded, and
click "OK." Then your newly installed theme should appear in the
menu. Select it, and hit "Apply" to preview it, or "OK" to set it
as your theme."
- LinuxPower: Two small GNOME apps that makes your desktop friendlier(Jun 12, 2000)
- LinuxPR: TUCOWS Linux Announces UNIX Themes!
(May 13, 2000)
- Themes.org: An Interview with Youngjin Hahn - Artwiz(Apr 25, 2000)
- Linux.com: Themes(Nov 29, 1999)
- Linux.com: Your Desktop, Your Control(Nov 28, 1999)
- GraphicsMuse: Interview with Greg Sanders, themes.org site manager(Nov 11, 1999)
- PRNewswire: Themes.org Relaunches With 'Themeable' Look and Feel(Sep 22, 1999)
- KDE style and theme support(Apr 24, 1999)