Technocrat.net: Is there a reason to -use- Open Source software?
Jul 02, 2000, 16:50 (1 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by jd)
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
"Many people have argued the pros and cons of both Open
Source and Closed source, for many years, primarily from the
perspective of the software, costs, service, income, etc. In short,
stuff that is external to the user. But what about the user? Does
it really affect the user as to how the software was
developed? I'm going to argue that it does. That the user is
as impacted by the developmental method as the software itself.
Maybe even more. I'm going to do so, by using an approach that's
briefly touched on on the FSF web pages, but which is largely
omitted in debates. That is, the Psychology of Open Source."
"What", you might ask, "does Open Source have to do with
psychology? Psychology's all that mind stuff, and psychologists
rarely agree with each other, anyway!"
"Psychology is a lot of things, and should really be thought of
as many seperate fields all lumped into one subject. To simplify
things, I'm going to SPECIFICALLY concentrate on the areas of abuse
and addiction, as understood in 12-step groups, the works of Scott
Peck, John Bradshaw, etc."
- LinuxWorld: Divided it stands - Linux's open source nature could be its greatest weakness(Jul 02, 2000)
- Upside: Can we marry the open source and commercial worlds?(Jun 28, 2000)
- Linux Magazine: Can A Pure Open Source Company Survive?(Jun 24, 2000)
- Upside: Open source companies' ups and downs(Jun 10, 2000)
- osOpinion: Is there a payday in open source?(May 29, 2000)
- eWeek: Open source is the right road to take(May 23, 2000)
- VNU Net: Gartner debunks open source myths(May 22, 2000)
- osOpinion: The Value of Open Source(May 22, 2000)
- osOpinion: Promoting Linux and Open Source Applications(May 18, 2000)
- osOpinion: Choosing Open Source: What Does It Mean(May 16, 2000)
- Freshmeat: Has Open Source become derailed?(May 07, 2000)
- Salon: Open-source bloatware(Apr 27, 2000)
- InternetWorld: Open Source: Ready For Prime Time?(Apr 23, 2000)
- ZDNet: The New Open Source Frontier(Mar 27, 2000)
- Freshmeat: Developing with Open Source(Mar 27, 2000)