CNET News.com: IE's lead over Netscape lengthens with new version
Jul 06, 2000, 14:46 (6 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Paul Festa)
[ Thanks to George
Mitchell for this link. ]
"Microsoft is readying the final version of IE 5.5 as
America Online unit Netscape Communications tests version 6.0 of
its competing browser. That numbering, however, may be
confusing; Netscape's new browser, rebuilt from the ground up, has
been in development so long that the company skipped the "5.0"
"Formerly known as "Communicator," Netscape 6.0 is scheduled for
a second beta release in late August and a final "gold master"
version in the late fall, AOL said today. AOL acquired Netscape in
March of last year. AOL scotched the name "Communicator" for
browser versions 6.0 and above, citing greater consumer recognition
of the name "Netscape."
"With the new browser, Netscape catches up to Microsoft in some
crucial respects. Like second-rung browser maker Opera Software,
Netscape redesigned the version from scratch to provide a browser
separable into discrete components, or modules. Microsoft's browser
has long had that modular structure."
- O'Reilly Network: Building a Game in Mozilla(Jul 01, 2000)
- O'Reilly Network: Extending the Mozilla Editor(Jul 01, 2000)
- O'Reilly.net: Tap the Power of Mozilla's User Style Sheets(Jul 01, 2000)
- Tucows Linux News: Mozilla Milestone 16 [Review](Jul 01, 2000)
- Slashdot: PNG, MNG, JNG and Mozilla M17(Jun 27, 2000)
- LinuxPlanet: One Fat Gecko: Netscape 6(Jun 20, 2000)
- WebTools.com: MozillaQuest: Building Your Own Browser Part III(Jun 13, 2000)
- XML.com: XMLTerm: A Mozilla-based Semantic User Interface(Jun 11, 2000)
- BetaNews: New Plans [for Mozilla] at AOL(May 31, 2000)
- LinuxMall.com: Mozilla Goes Multilingual(May 30, 2000)
- WebTools.com: MozillaQuest: Building Your Own Browser Part II(May 22, 2000)
- WebTools.com: MozillaQuest: Building Your Own Browser Part I(May 18, 2000)