Linux.com: Just How Does a Guy Get Into This Linux Thing?
Jul 19, 2000, 00:24 (1 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by MasterSibn)
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
"I don't even know when I had first learned about Linux. Perhaps
it was by clicking a link on C|Net's Download.com site. But
whatever the case, I had owned my computer for about a year, Give
or take a couple of months."
"It looked promising, yet extremely complex, and I didn't think
it had all the software I needed. Would it print? Would I be able
to edit graphics? Would I be able to even install it?"
"A few months later, I had installed AT&T @Home broadband
Internet access at home, and was much more capable with my computer
than when I started."
"I downloaded a copy of PhatLinux, because if I didn't like it,
I could always stop using it. The problem with Phat was that I was
unable to configure my soundcard, or start the X Window System. My
soundcard was a Yamaha DS-XG and I had guessed (incorrectly) that
it was Sound Blaster compatible. Since I couldn't start X, or
configure it, I thought that Linux was not capable of meeting my
needs. Rightly so; it was not ready for me.'
"Over the next three or four months, I would download and
try to install various other distributions that "worked on
DOS/Windows partitions," and had about the same amount of
success. Some of them would not be able to mount the VFAT
filesystem, so they wouldn't load at all."
- Firstlinux.com: I've installed Linux: What Next? -- more in the series(May 31, 2000)
- LinuxPR: Online browser-based KDE demonstration for new Linux users
(May 13, 2000)
- JustLinux.com: GUIs can be a "pain in the butt"(Apr 01, 2000)
- osOpinion: A not so newbie's attempt at installing Linux(Mar 30, 2000)
- technofile: Corel Linux is easy to install and has many improvements(Mar 28, 2000)
- Linux.com: Headaches Installing Software?(Mar 26, 2000)
- Linuxnewbie.org: XFree86 Version 4.0 Installation and Configuration(Mar 23, 2000)
- LinuxMonth: RPM - Installing, Querying, Deleting your packages(Mar 21, 2000)
- Linuxnewbie.org: Installing and Configuring Tripwire 2.2.1 on SuSE 6.x Newbieized Help File(Mar 16, 2000)
- Nerdnet.com: XFree86 4.0 Install and Impressions(Mar 15, 2000)
- Linuxnewbie.org: FTP Installation Newbieized Help File(Mar 09, 2000)