O'Reilly Network: The GNOME Foundation: Is "As Good" Good Enough?
Aug 19, 2000, 17:42 (0 Talkback[s])
Desktop-as-a-Service Designed for Any Cloud ? Nutanix Frame
"Of all the announcements at LinuxWorld last week, the one that
may have had the biggest effect on the rest of the world -- the
folks who didn't make it to the show -- was the launch of the GNOME
Foundation. This consortium of several traditional IT companies,
like IBM, Hewlett-Packard and Sun Microsystems, as well as Linux
companies like Helix Code, Red Hat and Eazel, aims to build a
unified, easy-to-use desktop environment for Windows, based on
GNOME. All of the members are contributing money to the foundation,
some are kicking in technology as well."
"When you talk to members of the Foundation, they often say
that the goal is to build a desktop environment and application
suite that's as easy to use as Microsoft's Windows. But will "as
is" be good enough?"
"O'Reilly Network talked to GNOME advocates from
Hewlett-Packard, Sun Microsystems, and Eazel."
[ Excerpts from 9:15 min. audio, which you can download.
- osOpinion: Beating them with their own code: why GNOME can't kill KDE(Aug 18, 2000)
- eWeek: GNOME Throws Down the Gauntlet(Aug 17, 2000)
- ComputerWorld: Unix vendors adopt Gnome desktop(Aug 17, 2000)
- ZDNet UK: Gnome Linux to attack Windows(Aug 15, 2000)
- Wired: Linux Mounts MS Offense [w/GNOME Foundation](Aug 15, 2000)
- GNOME.org: The GNOME Community and Industry Leaders Join Forces(Aug 15, 2000)
- The Register: StarOffice creator on the GNOME pact(Aug 15, 2000)
- BW: TurboLinux Delivers First IA64 Port of Helix Code GNOME...(Aug 15, 2000)
- The Register: Sun puts dollars and suits behind GNOME(Aug 14, 2000)
- O'Reilly Network: Helix GNOME: Unix For Humans(Jul 28, 2000)