Upside: Open source uncertainty over Microsoft-Corel; MS planning to buy Red Hat next?
Oct 05, 2000, 20:42 (17 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Sam Williams)
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
"Although many observers downplayed the impact on Linux
following the Monday announcement, some, including Axxel Knutson,
chief executive officer of tradingweapon.com, a New Jersey-based
office of First Allied Securities, see the Redmond-based giant
trying to turn itself around. "I think Microsoft is interested
in Linux," said Knutson, who speculated on future Microsoft moves
in the Linux arena, including a possible acquisition of top Linux
distributor Red Hat (RHAT)."
"I think Red Hat is certainly a candidate," he said. "I
would hope that didn't happen, but if I was Microsoft I'd get the
checkbook out. They're going to have to do something or risk
getting left in the dust."
"Other analysts disagree, however. Stacey Quandt, Linux analyst
for Giga Information Group, issued a written summary of the deal...
Looking at the deal from the Linux community perspective, Quandt
sees little for established Linux players to worry about. "I don't
look at this as Microsoft having a Linux strategy," said Quandt. "I
think Microsoft has too much of a commitment to its current OS to
pursue a bifurcated operating system strategy."
- National Post: Corel soars on rival's cash(Oct 04, 2000)
- The Register: How old chums cobbled up the MS Corel deal(Oct 04, 2000)
- Corel CEO Burney on CNBC: Linux and .NET(Oct 04, 2000)
- The Register: MS + Corel = Office for Linux? In your dreams...(Oct 04, 2000)
- ZDNet: Why did Microsoft really buy into Corel?(Oct 03, 2000)
- CIPS: Keep Linux Alive--Technology Association Comments On Corel And Microsoft Alliance(Oct 03, 2000)
- Financial Post: Corel links with Microsoft(Oct 03, 2000)
- LinuxPlanet: .comment: Microsoft and Corel -- Not Good News(Oct 03, 2000)
- Little Substantive Linux Information in Corel/Microsoft Deal: Details to Come(Oct 03, 2000)
- LinuxToday.com.au: How Long For Corel's Linux Strategy?(Sep 24, 2000)