Globe and Mail: Microsoft takes aim at Web talk
Oct 09, 2000, 22:21 (0 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Showwei Chu)
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
"Dubbed Microsoft.Net, the initiative is a framework that uses
the industry standard extensible markup language (XML) as the
language of communication between software applications. The idea
is to allow software developers to design Web sites that can "talk"
with one another. If adopted by enough Internet sites, Mr. Clegg
said, that would theoretically mean consumers wouldn't have to
visit multiple sites to arrange a vacation, for example."
"When asked how Corel's version of the free Linux system would
fit into the Microsoft.Net strategy, Mr. Clegg said, 'You have to
ask Corel how they see that fitting.'"
"Steve Ballmer, Microsoft Corp.'s chief executive officer, has
said the company has no plans to modify its word processing and
spreadsheet software to run on Linux."
- LinuxPlanet: Editor's Note: Turning the Town Red with WINE(Oct 09, 2000)
- Globe and Mail: Pact with Microsoft a huge Corel win, but no slam dunk for its future(Oct 07, 2000)
- Upside: Open source uncertainty over Microsoft-Corel; MS planning to buy Red Hat next?(Oct 05, 2000)
- National Post: Corel soars on rival's cash(Oct 04, 2000)
- The Register: How old chums cobbled up the MS Corel deal(Oct 04, 2000)
- Canada-INvest.com: Twist In The Tale(Oct 04, 2000)
- Corel CEO Burney on CNBC: Linux and .NET(Oct 04, 2000)
- The Register: MS + Corel = Office for Linux? In your dreams...(Oct 04, 2000)
- Enterprise Linux Today: Derek J. Burney Appointed Corel President and CEO(Oct 03, 2000)
- Financial Post: Corel links with Microsoft(Oct 03, 2000)
- LinuxPlanet: .comment: Microsoft and Corel -- Not Good News(Oct 03, 2000)
- Little Substantive Linux Information in Corel/Microsoft Deal: Details to Come(Oct 03, 2000)
- Corel and Microsoft Announce Strategic Alliance(Oct 03, 2000)
- National Post: Microsoft Corp. buys stake in Corel; companies form strategic alliance(Oct 03, 2000)
- Globe and Mail: Corel, Microsoft enter alliance(Oct 03, 2000)
- Yahoo!/Reuters: Corel, Microsoft Forge Strategic Alliance(Oct 02, 2000)