Linux Journal: Netscape 6 Preview Release 3 -- Strike 3: Is NS 6 Out?
Oct 14, 2000, 20:38 (39 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Mike Angelo)
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
"Netscape 6 Preview Release 3 (NS6-PR3) is a much-needed
improvement over the now old NS 4.x products. It also is an
improvement over the first two Netscape 6 (NS 6) preview releases.
The most notable additions and improvements since NS 4.x are the
Gecko browser engine, Skins-switching, Skins-customizing, the
Sidebar and a rebuilt Composer. However, as with the first two NS 6
preview releases, NS6-PR3 is still buggy and crash prone --
although less so now. Additionally, NS 6 comes with some AOL
"Netscape/AOL published the third preview release of Netscape
6.0 for the Linux, Mac and Windows platforms on October 4, 2000.
That should be the last of the NS 6 preview releases. The RTM
(release to manufacturers) version of NS 6.0 is expected by the end
of 2000. NS 6 is the first new Netscape browser suite produced by
Netscape's current owner, AOL."
"NS6-PR3, as its predecessors PR1 and PR2, is not yet ready
for prime time. PR1 and PR2 were strikes, and PR3 makes it three
strikes in a row. More about the new, the improved, the buggy,
the bloat and the bad later. The underlying problem here is that,
so far, AOL/Netscape is pushing product to public show and tell and
to market before the product is ready, quality-wise."
- Mozilla M18 binaries have been released(Oct 13, 2000)
- Mozilla.org: Fizzilla - Mozilla for MacOS X(Oct 11, 2000)
- Upside: Learning the ways of Mozilla(Oct 11, 2000)
- eWeek: Netscape 6: Bad message for biz users(Oct 09, 2000)
- Wired: Netscape 6 Ready for Browsing(Oct 05, 2000)
- eWeek: Final beta of Netscape 6 arrives today(Oct 05, 2000)
- O'Reilly Network: Getting Your Work Into Mozilla(Oct 02, 2000)
- LinuxPlanet: Editor's Note: Mozilla Revisited(Oct 02, 2000)
- WebTools.com: Netscape 6 PR2 Still Not Ready for Prime Time(Aug 15, 2000)
- WebTools.com: Netscape 6 PR1: Not Yet Ready For Prime Time(Apr 17, 2000)