ZDNet UK: Experts argue over Netscape 6.0
Nov 08, 2000, 19:03 (7 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Mary Jo Foley)
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
"Is Netscape 6.0 going to be the best or the buggiest browser on
the market? It depends on which of the testers engaged in a very
public argument you believe..."
"The browser has been developed by Netscape engineers, in
conjunction with the open source developers who are part of the
open-source Mozilla.org project. Earlier this week, David Flanagan,
an O'Reilly & Associates technical book author, posted a note
and a petition asking Netscape to delay releasing Netscape 6.0
until the company patches some serious "standards compliance"
"He said the fact that Netscape 6 will function as not just
a browser, but a software development platform in its own right,
makes such standards compliance all the more critical. This war of
words raises an interesting side issue. Does "open" apply to
everything in the open-source realm -- even the way differing
opinions are aired?"
"As one posting on the Mozilla e-zine site "Mozillazine" noted
wryly: "If Mozilla wasn't open source, exactly the same thing would
be happening with Netscape 6 -- but behind closed doors, without
any media fuss, and with a boatload more bugs because of the lack
of external contribution and oversight."
- mozillaZine: Netscape Cannot Win(Nov 07, 2000)
- LinuxToday.com.au: Mozilla - The Lizard of Legend(Nov 02, 2000)
- AllLinuxDevices: Mozilla for Nano-X Launched, Enabling Mozilla for Linux Handhelds and Set-tops.
(Oct 18, 2000)
- Linux Journal: Netscape 6 Preview Release 3 -- Strike 3: Is NS 6 Out?(Oct 14, 2000)
- Mozilla.org: Fizzilla - Mozilla for MacOS X(Oct 11, 2000)
- Upside: Learning the ways of Mozilla(Oct 11, 2000)
- eWeek: Netscape 6: Bad message for biz users(Oct 09, 2000)
- Wired: Netscape 6 Ready for Browsing(Oct 05, 2000)
- O'Reilly Network: Getting Your Work Into Mozilla(Oct 02, 2000)
- LinuxPlanet: Editor's Note: Mozilla Revisited(Oct 02, 2000)
- KDE Dot News: Corel ports Mozilla to Qt(Sep 21, 2000)
- Mozilla.org: Mozilla Development Roadmap(Sep 20, 2000)
- LinuxPower: Mozilla Strikes Back(Sep 14, 2000)
- O'Reilly Network: Mozilla is Not Netscape (and Other True Facts)(Aug 27, 2000)