ZDNet: Get Better Battery Life; Avoid Transmeta's Crusoe For Now
Nov 10, 2000, 15:24 (1 Talkback[s])
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
"New mobile processor technologies promise to deliver better
battery life and adequate performance. But should you hold out for
a notebook based on Transmeta's Crusoe processor?"
"Analysts feel that Transmeta's best chances are to pursue the
growing Internet appliance market with its TM3120 processor, which
runs at 400MHz and targets Internet appliances running the Mobile
Linux operating system. The competition in the Internet appliance
market is less intense and one of Transmeta's first design wins was
with Frontpath, Inc, a spin-off of SONICblue (formerly known as
S3). Frontpath will use the Crusoe TMS3200 in its first wireless
Information Appliance called ProGear."
"But it's clear that Transmeta has its work cut out before it
can take on Intel in the market for mainstream notebook processors.
For now, we recommend you stick with the tried-and-true Intel-
or AMD-based notebooks for the best balance of performance and
- AllLinuxDevices: Gateway, AOL to launch Transmeta webpad
(Nov 10, 2000)
- Upside: Transmeta's 12 o'clock high(Nov 10, 2000)
- ZDNet: Berst Alert: Transmeta: the Chip on Intel's Shoulder(Nov 08, 2000)
- InfoWorld: Crusoe problems blamed on software emulation technique(Nov 08, 2000)
- CNET News.com: Compaq preps Asian Transmeta product; U.S. plans unclear(Nov 08, 2000)
- eWeek: Compaq denies it ditched Transmeta chip(Nov 08, 2000)
- AllLinuxDevices: Transmeta shares soar despite Crusoe doubts
(Nov 08, 2000)
- The Register: Transmeta helping out AMD, MS with Sledgehammer coding?
(Nov 08, 2000)
- AllLinuxDevices: Transmeta's Crusoe not ready for mainstream - Gartner
(Nov 07, 2000)
- Client Server NEWS 2000: Compaq Cans Transmeta Box(Nov 07, 2000)
- CNET News.com: Transmeta surpasses estimates with $273 million IPO(Nov 07, 2000)
- IT-Director: IBM, Transmeta and the IPO torpedo(Nov 06, 2000)
- CNET News.com: Transmeta could wake up moribund IPO market(Nov 03, 2000)
- Linux.com: Transmeta: Revisiting Predictions
(Nov 03, 2000)
- The Register: Intel claimed to have squeezed IBM to dump Transmeta(Nov 02, 2000)
- The Register: Desperate Dell begging Transmeta for a Crusoe deal?
(Nov 02, 2000)
- ZDNet: Transmeta reviews criticize performance(Oct 26, 2000)