Smart Partner: Linux Interface Shoot-out?
Nov 16, 2000, 18:40 (2 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols)
Desktop-as-a-Service Designed for Any Cloud ? Nutanix Frame
"While many see the KDE League as being a direct answer to the
Gnome Foundation, that's not how some KDE League supporters see it.
Drew Spencer, Caldera Systems' CTO, point-blank said that, "In no
way, shape or form is this an aggressive reaction to Gnome."
Instead, "It's simply a way to give users more options."
"A closer look reveals that while the Gnome Foundation has
grand plans for common application program interfaces across
platforms and operating systems such as Solaris, the KDE League's
goals are much more modest. As one KDE supporter put it, "This puts
the bread on the KDE hackers' tables." And, indeed, beyond
developer funding and public relations, there's little else
material to the KDE League."
"Some think that getting ink and attention was really what was
behind the KDE League announcement. Spencer observed that the
formation of the KDE League was making official Linux companies'
longtime practices of supporting KDE developers. But what has
changed recently is that the Gnome Foundation's founding put GNOME
into the spotlight. Afterward KDE--even with the October release of
its important new version, KDE 2.0--got comparatively little
- LinuxWorld.com.au: GNOME Foundation candidate on KDE League(Nov 16, 2000)
- Linux Today at COMDEX: KDE League Formalized with Press Conference, Granroth Addresses Critics(Nov 16, 2000)
- LinuxNews.com: IBM, KDE Relationship Deepens; IBM to Voice-Enable KDE(Nov 16, 2000)
- eWeek: Linux backers to announce KDE League(Nov 16, 2000)
- KDE Dot News: Kasbar - The Next Generation(Nov 15, 2000)
- ZDNet: KDE backers to form a league of their own; KDE League comparable to GNOME Foundation(Nov 14, 2000)
- James Alan Brown: Some Constructive KDE Criticism(Nov 14, 2000)
- LinuxToday.com.au: KDE, Gnome And The Media(Nov 10, 2000)
- Free KDE 2.0 developer book now available online(Nov 10, 2000)
- Kivio flowcharting tool for KDE - 2nd beta release(Nov 07, 2000)
- ZDNet: KDE Brings Linux Closer to Corporate Desktop(Nov 01, 2000)
- LinuxWorld: KDE dominates first European LinuxWorld Expo(Nov 01, 2000)