ZDNet: IBM builds better box with Pentium 4: 1.5GHz IntelliStation review
Nov 20, 2000, 18:25 (7 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Jason Brooks)
How to Help Your Business Become an AI Early Adopter
"The IntelliStation, which shipped Monday on the heels of the
1.5GHz Pentium 4, delivered impressive performances in eWEEK Labs'
tests. Companies in the market for high-end workstations will find
the new IBM system very tempting. Buyers will benefit from the same
dynamic of expanding performance and contracting price that buyers
of desktop and notebook PCs have enjoyed in recent years."
"Unlike previous IntelliStation M Pro workstations, the 6849 is
not available in a dual-processor configuration. Companies that
have developed a fondness for dual-processor systems might be
"Windows 2000 came preloaded on our system, but IBM also sells
the machine with Windows NT 4.0. The system also runs Linux
distributions from Caldera Inc., Red Hat Inc., SuSE Inc. and
TurboLinux Inc., so sites that want to use Linux for software
development or applications can do so with a measure of confidence.
IBM does not preinstall Linux on the workstation."
- CNET News.com: Transmeta power savings not great enough, IBM says(Nov 16, 2000)
- LinuxNews.com: IBM, KDE Relationship Deepens; IBM to Voice-Enable KDE(Nov 15, 2000)
- LinuxWorld.com.au: Sendmail co-founder on messaging deal with IBM(Nov 13, 2000)
- Enterprise Linux Today: IBM adds Sendmail to Linux servers(Nov 08, 2000)
- ZDNet UK: IBM preps Linux server suite for small business(Nov 07, 2000)
- Techweb: IBM Readies Small Business Apps For Linux(Nov 06, 2000)
- IT-Director: IBM, Transmeta and the IPO torpedo(Nov 06, 2000)
- LinuxWorld: IBM announces rollout of 15,000 Linux servers; More to come(Nov 04, 2000)
- eWeek: IBM rolls out Small Business Suite for Linux(Nov 03, 2000)
- Silicon.com: 'Linux is Unix,' says Sun. 'No it isn't,' says IBM...(Nov 01, 2000)
- LinuxProgramming.com: IBM releases AFS as Open Source(Nov 01, 2000)
- Enterprise Linux Today: In Context: IBM's DB2 7.1 EEE: Pushing the Envelope for Enterprise Linux(Oct 26, 2000)