InfoWorld: A world with UCITA may allow fine print to outweigh the right thing
Nov 29, 2000, 21:40 (3 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Ed Foster)
How to Help Your Business Become an AI Early Adopter
"The conversation we're about to hear could be occurring right
now in real life, except we're going to imagine that a certain law
relating to software transactions is already well-established
throughout the country."
"Agent: Good day, Firebridge Tires customer service. This is
John. How can I help you today?"
"Caller: John, I recently bought a new SUV equipped with your
tires. Now I'm seeing on the Internet that people are having
accidents because of problems with these tires, so naturally I'm a
bit concerned about this."
"Agent: Sir, Firebridge Tires is aware of those reports. I want
to assure you we are investigating, and when we identify the people
responsible for those reports, we will prosecute them to the
fullest extent of the law."
"Caller: Prosecute them? No, you don't understand -- experts are
saying that your tires can blow out for no reason. I'm calling
because I assumed there might be some sort of recall."
- LA Times: Support for Software Law Eroding(Nov 20, 2000)
- InfoWorld: Legitimate concerns vs. free speech: Who defines the rules for the Net?(Nov 07, 2000)
- ComputerWorld: FTC to study software-licensing practices(Oct 23, 2000)
- ComputerWorld: Maryland's UCITA May Have National Reach(Sep 06, 2000)
- ComputerWorld: UCITA group backs off provision in software licensing law -- somewhat(Aug 10, 2000)
- LA Weekly: Wares Wars - Consumer non-protection act threatens open-sourcers(Jun 26, 2000)
- Linux.com: Here Comes the Hurricane(May 15, 2000)
- Government Technology: UCITA: Click "I Agree" to Waive Rights(May 05, 2000)
- SecurityFocus.com: The Fine Print in UCITA(Mar 17, 2000)
- InfoWorld: States shouldn't be so sure that passing UCITA will bring them jobs and talent(Mar 12, 2000)
- PC Week: Fight UCITA: It grants far too much power to vendors(Mar 07, 2000)
- ComputerWorld: CIOs join fight to kill Ucita(Mar 04, 2000)
- osOpinion: UCITA : the Best Legislation Money Can Buy, Take Two(Feb 29, 2000)