InfoWorld: A world with UCITA may allow fine print to outweigh the right thing
Nov 29, 2000, 21:40 (3 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Ed Foster)
Desktop-as-a-Service Designed for Any Cloud ? Nutanix Frame
"The conversation we're about to hear could be occurring right
now in real life, except we're going to imagine that a certain law
relating to software transactions is already well-established
throughout the country."
"Agent: Good day, Firebridge Tires customer service. This is
John. How can I help you today?"
"Caller: John, I recently bought a new SUV equipped with your
tires. Now I'm seeing on the Internet that people are having
accidents because of problems with these tires, so naturally I'm a
bit concerned about this."
"Agent: Sir, Firebridge Tires is aware of those reports. I want
to assure you we are investigating, and when we identify the people
responsible for those reports, we will prosecute them to the
fullest extent of the law."
"Caller: Prosecute them? No, you don't understand -- experts are
saying that your tires can blow out for no reason. I'm calling
because I assumed there might be some sort of recall."
- LA Times: Support for Software Law Eroding(Nov 21, 2000)
- InfoWorld: Legitimate concerns vs. free speech: Who defines the rules for the Net?(Nov 08, 2000)
- ComputerWorld: FTC to study software-licensing practices(Oct 23, 2000)
- ComputerWorld: Maryland's UCITA May Have National Reach(Sep 07, 2000)
- ComputerWorld: UCITA group backs off provision in software licensing law -- somewhat(Aug 10, 2000)
- LA Weekly: Wares Wars - Consumer non-protection act threatens open-sourcers(Jun 26, 2000)
- Linux.com: Here Comes the Hurricane(May 15, 2000)
- Government Technology: UCITA: Click "I Agree" to Waive Rights(May 06, 2000)
- SecurityFocus.com: The Fine Print in UCITA(Mar 17, 2000)
- InfoWorld: States shouldn't be so sure that passing UCITA will bring them jobs and talent(Mar 13, 2000)
- PC Week: Fight UCITA: It grants far too much power to vendors(Mar 07, 2000)
- ComputerWorld: CIOs join fight to kill Ucita(Mar 04, 2000)
- osOpinion: UCITA : the Best Legislation Money Can Buy, Take Two(Mar 01, 2000)