The Register: Dell fumbles open source desktop gambit
Dec 01, 2000, 15:30 (19 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Andrew Orlowski)
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
"...this carefully leaked, desperately optimistic newscrumb did
its business duty. We confidently predict that the more gullible
wires will be awash with Dell-endorsing-Linux stories, pegged on
the double hook of: Dell straying from its role as Wintel distie;
and Linux getting get a massive leg-up into the living rooms of
"Call us cynical, but the choice of GNOME/Nautilus is what
you'd expect if you dragged a trainee PR intern off the street, and
threatened to hit them with a rock until they came up with two
leading open source names. This really is strategy dictated by
short-haul in-flight magazines. Err... GNOME! And err... the one
that old Mac guy does...!"
"GNOME, much as we love it, is trailing the dominant Linux
desktop KDE by several months, and several distros of mindshare.
And Nautilus has failed to grok that Mozilla is rapidly becoming
the scriptable desktop environment most of us want to live in. ...
Some might still hope that this is a tactical firework across
the bow of Wintel. Dream on, folks."
- CNET News.com: Dell invests in Linux-for-the-masses company Eazel(Nov 30, 2000)
- eWeek: Dell gives Linux a bigger hug; invests in Eazel(Nov 30, 2000)
- Linux Magazine: Eazel on Down the Road(Nov 25, 2000)
- Dell pushes Linux in Comdex keynote; Dell's mum leads assault on palmtops(Nov 14, 2000)
- LinuxPlanet: Preview: Nautilus PR2(Nov 10, 2000)
- Enterprise Linux Today: Linuxcare and Eazel partner(Nov 08, 2000)
- Linux.com: Eazel: Strangely Optimistic(Oct 24, 2000)
- CNET News.com: Dell pokes at Compaq, elegizes WebPC [& comments on Linux](Sep 22, 2000)
- O'Reilly Network: Eazel's Business Model(Sep 16, 2000)
- VNU Net: Dell backs Linux with R&D dollars(Aug 16, 2000)
- eWeek: Michael Dell sings Linux's praises(Aug 15, 2000)