Upside: Can VA Linux get out of hot water [With SourceForge]?
Dec 08, 2000, 20:18 (0 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Sam Williams)
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
"...So far, the service has managed to line up only one major
subscriber, Hewlett-Packard (HWP) spinoff Agilent Technologies (A
). Still, it represents an interesting direction for a company that
seemed to launch SourceForge almost as a trial balloon last year,
only to watch it get swept up in the trade winds of the software
"Since we launched SourceForge this spring, participation has
just taken off," says Hall, citing the website's current
statistics: 12,000 hosted projects and 93,000 registered users.
"Some pretty big companies have signed on, hosting their projects
on SourceForge. Now, some of those companies are interested in
taking the SourceForge toolset and using it as a standard for
internal development as well."
"VA Linux isn't the first company to do this, mind you.
Collab.Net , the Brisbane, Calif.-based service and consulting firm
has marketed its own collaborative development toolkit and
expertise to the likes of Oracle (ORCL), Sun Microsystems (SUNW)
and HP. The same goes for OpenAvenue, an Atlanta-based company that
recently struck a deal with Sprint PCS (PCS) to manage the wireless
service provider's collaborative development projects."
- CNET News.com: VA Linux seeks profits on programmer site(Dec 06, 2000)
- AllLinuxDevices: Sourceforge Software Installed at Handhelds.org(Oct 06, 2000)
- OLinux.com.br: Sourceforge.net: Wait a minute, Sir! What about that forgotten Open Source project?(Sep 04, 2000)
- The Register: VA Linux launches open source answer to M$N
(Aug 16, 2000)
- BW: VA Linux Systems' SourceForge Now Hosts Over 6,000 Open Source Projects(Jul 06, 2000)
- LWN: SourceForge Access To Intel Itanium Processor Prototype Systems(May 26, 2000)
- LinuxPlanet: Funding the Open Source Developer(Apr 06, 2000)
- InfoWorld: VA Linux Systems acquires server and storage vendors(Mar 16, 2000)
- E-Commerce Times: VA Linux Pumps Up Developer Resources(Mar 08, 2000)
- CNET News.com: VA Linux an example of stellar IPOs gone south(Feb 29, 2000)
- VA Linux Snatches Andover.Net(Feb 03, 2000)