LinuxLookup.com: VMware 2.0.3 For Linux Review
Dec 09, 2000, 21:30 (4 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by JJ)
How to Help Your Business Become an AI Early Adopter
[ Thanks to Jonny5 for this link.
"In today's world of Information Technology it is almost
impossible to to work exclusively with only one operating system.
That being the case the folks at VMware, Inc. dove in and developed
VMware; a friendly, robust, and affordable Virtual Machine. A
virtual machine in this instance is software installed on a host
operating system that creates a virtual X86 computer and runs a
number of guest operating systems. Here's the cool part, no dual
booting! That's right for those of us who choose (or are forced) to
run one or more operating systems VMware saves us from the
frustration of having a workstation cluttered with multiple
computers or having to dual boot constantly."
"I recently installed VMware 2.0.3 on a Red Hat 7.0 machine
using RPM (there are also compressed tar archive available) to
install the binaries. After successfully installing the binaries I
proceeded to run the install script, which must be run as super
user and from inside a console."
"VMware boasts a number of innovative features. Anything you
do on a separate computer, you can just about do using a virtual
machine. You can share files, surf the internet, run business
applications, develop programs just to name a few. You have a
choice of running the Virtual Machine in its own window or in
full-screen mode, cut and paste between the virtual machines and
the host, use suspend and instant restore, enjoy full multimedia
(except 3D), even use and even use an external zip drive."
- CNET News.com: VMware announces CFO and new server software(Dec 06, 2000)
- LinuxPlanet: VMware Makes Move for Server with Two New Products(Dec 05, 2000)
- LinuxWorld: Unlocking the Windows-based mailbox(Nov 28, 2000)
- NewsForge: Plex86, VMware compete to get rid of dual booting(Nov 20, 2000)
- Linux Magazine: The Road to Kick-Ass Gaming(Oct 21, 2000)
- LinuxPlanet: Editor's Note: Turning the Town Red with WINE(Oct 09, 2000)
- Duke of URL: Inside VMWare [2.0.2 Review](Sep 30, 2000)
- LinuxMedNews: Win4Lin Puts Windows on Linux Desktop(Aug 30, 2000)
- Linux Magazine: Getting Virtual with VMware 2.0 [Review](Aug 27, 2000)
- CNET News.com: VMware ready to capitalize on hot server market(Jun 30, 2000)
- LinuxPlanet: VMware 2.0: Virtually Magnificent(Apr 10, 2000)