eWeek: Linux on the loose; enterprise-level 2.4 kernel release nears
Dec 11, 2000, 15:23 (1 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Peter Galli)
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
"As Linux creator Linus Torvalds prepares the 2.4 kernel for
final release later this month, testing of the kernel and bug
fixing are proceeding at a rapid pace. The preparation bodes well
for this kernel, which will include a slate of enhancements that
improves Linux's robustness and goes a long way toward proving its
suitability for enterprise-level applications."
"...things are looking good for a December release. Michael K.
Johnson, the manager of kernel engineering for Linux vendor Red Hat
Inc., in Research Triangle Park, N.C., said the testing process has
been going well, and bugs are being quickly identified and fixed.
"The code is advancing rapidly, and I am confident that it will be
stable and perform as expected," Johnson said."
"...Torvalds is planning to include the ReiserFS journaling file
system in the 2.4.1 release, expected within two weeks of 2.4's
release, the Linux developer said. Red Hat's Johnson said the Ext3
journaling file system would also be included in an early 2.4.x
release, and both would be supported."
- Linus Torvalds: Linux 2.4.0-test12-pre8(Dec 11, 2000)
- eWeek: Linux 2.4 kernel(Dec 06, 2000)
- Joe Pranevich: Wonderful World of Linux 2.4 11/23/00 ("Turkey Day" Update)(Nov 27, 2000)
- The Register: Linus Q&A on robots, fame and getting to 'yes' with 2.4(Nov 16, 2000)
- LinuxWorld.com.au: Kernel 2.4 - what's in store?(Nov 10, 2000)
- Techweb: Torvalds: Linux 2.4 To Go Gold In December(Nov 08, 2000)
- The Yankee Group: Whither Linux 2.4: Delayed Again(Oct 26, 2000)
- eWeek: Growing pains slow Linux 2.4 cycle(Oct 16, 2000)
- LinuxWorld: IBM's Journaling File System (JFS) -- in 2.4 Kernel?(Oct 05, 2000)
- IBM developerWorks: Meet the 2.4 Linux kernel, Part 2(Sep 02, 2000)
- IBM developerWorks: Meet the 2.4 Linux kernel, Part 1 - When will we get it and what will we get?(Aug 29, 2000)