Linux Magazine: StarOffice is a Stellar Suite
Dec 16, 2000, 20:31 (8 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Joe)
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
"StarOffice does an admirable job of importing Microsoft Office
documents with minimal problems. In testing, the only document that
StarOffice refused to open was a password-protected Excel workbook.
Word docs, spreadsheets and PowerPoint presentations offered no
major challenges for StarOffice, though the document formatting did
suffer a bit in the translation. Unfortunately, StarOffice
concentrates almost solely on importing Microsoft Office docs and
ignores Applix and Corel formats. This is a glaring omission for
Linux users, as quite a few Linux companies do use Applix Office
and Corel WordPerfect."
"The suite's interface is fairly intuitive and will seem very
familiar to users migrating from Windows and Office. The
integrated-desktop design of StarOffice is a bit clumsy, however.
It isn't possible to simply start StarWriter by itself, the entire
suite is launched for any task, no matter how trivial. StarOffice
is not light on resources, and occasionally bogs things down quite
a bit. The desktop "feature" of StarOffice is probably its biggest
flaw, being unnecessary and generally annoying."
"All in all, StarOffice 5.2 is a good solution for anyone
needing basic productivity software under Linux. While not quite a
match for Microsoft Office, it should meet the needs of most
ordinary users, and the price is certainly right."
- LinuxWorld: StarOffice goes to school - The program offers Microsoft-free file compatibility(Dec 05, 2000)
- ZDNet: Bigger, not necesarily better - StarOffice's open sourcing isn't the breakthrough some believe(Oct 19, 2000)
- InfoWorld: Sun's release of StarOffice package does not include online StarPortal version(Oct 16, 2000)
- LinuxPR: Sun Microsystems Announces Availability of StarOffice Source Code On OpenOffice.org(Oct 16, 2000)
- ZDNet: Is StarOffice Sun's "Survivor"?(Oct 16, 2000)
- DevX.com: StarOffice Chief [Marco Boerries] Offers Insights on Going Open Source(Aug 29, 2000)
- PC World: Suite Freedom With StarOffice(Aug 17, 2000)
- The Register: StarOffice creator on the GNOME pact(Aug 15, 2000)
- CNET News.com/Gartner Viewpoint: Prepare to make some concessions with StarOffice(Aug 14, 2000)
- CNET News.com: Sun finds new backers for StarOffice(Aug 10, 2000)
- LinuxPlanet: Editor's Note: Brilliant Disguise: Sun to Release StarOffice under GPL(Aug 07, 2000)
- LinuxToday.com.au: Cut StarOffice in half(Jul 23, 2000)
- eWeek: Open-source StarOffice earns early praise(Jul 21, 2000)